San Antonio, TX

Exclamation Unanswered: A97 - Importing "Dynamic" Delimited Text Files

We have a third party data management system that sends us a number of daily files to import into our payroll system. Due to limitations out of my control, one of these files is broken down into 2 seperate files (let's call them File1A.csv and File1B.csv). The key record in both files is FILE#. I've written an A97 program to import(transfertext method) both files, combine them on the key record and then export the combined data back out to a new .csv file. Everything works great.

The problem is, the powers that be like to add and delete fields from the csv, seemingly at random. This is a big problem for me because of the import specs I use to import the two different .csv files to make all fields text(to avoid losing data due to data type violation errors). If I change the import spec to include a new field inserted in the middle of a file, then I'm not able to reuse the program on a previous version of the data file. Am I making sense yet?

What I need is a better way to import these two files and combine them together. I've been trying to read up on processing delimited text files but I'm not having a whole lot of luck since I'm reading from a VB6 book(there are some things that don't jive too well in access).

Can anyone give me some direction or maybe examples of what I'm trying to do?

"Doing stuff is overrated. Take Hitler for example. He did lots but don't we all wish he'd have just stayed home and gotten stoned?"

Coventry, Warwickshire, UK
    Read up in the A97 Help text about the Input # statement. That should allow you combine an unknown number of fields in a file with another file and then write out the result to a new file.
    Roger Hampson
    XI - ecs (UK) Ltd