Thread: Our own App

Unanswered: Our own App

Hi, We want to re-program our entire mdb database to a standalone app, connected to a SQL - server. We want to sell our system to other companies.

I have about 30 forms and 40 reports. I was thinking the reports could come out as PDFs after the reprogramming.

What platform would you guys use - JAVA, C++, VB or whatever? We are pretty short on time(as usual). It only need to run on PCs. Any one do something like this before?

Is there some way in between? Like hiding access references etc with programming. I know this might be a big project. But I intend to hire the amount of people needed.

Kind Regards

Jo´

Re: Our own App

Off the top of my head...

I would do the frontend in VB and use a good third party tool for the reports (such as Crystal Reports). Their are many .pdf Creating software tools on the market "ActivePDF" being one of them. Using their SDK you can run the report and then convert it automatically to a .pdf file, doing all of this through VB code of course.

HTH
    Don't do today, what can be done tomorrow.

I too would use VB for the app, though i disagree with using a reporting tool like Crystal reports because you stated that you wanted it to be stand alone. If it is stand alone (IE not report server) then all crystal reports would be able to do is produce rtf files or pdf's, wich would in turn be a huge wast of money for the product that you would have bought. I would look into the acrobat pdf writer aplication. It will be able to do both types of exports, maybe even more if you need a csv file or something of that nature. VB can call the acrobat writer as well. So to minimize cost I would use VB and Acrobat Writer.
    Regards
    Jim

VB and PDF writer sounds really good to me. Do we need something more in between the PDF writer and the SQL server? Are there some way of reducing the VB reports programming? Some plug ins or something?

Thanks for your help

Jo´

You are going to need something for you end user to interact with. Access can be programed in VBA to pull a report based on a query and then out put it. Im not sure how it will out put to Acrobat writer in the form of the format though. Maybe you should look into the acrobat writer and how it works to determin what type of application you will need to get the output correct. Im sure there is an e mail or online help that can answer that for you. But to answer your question you will need something inbetween your end user unless you are going to pull these reports for them and leave them in a directory for them. If that is the case then I think that query analyzer to gather the data and the acrabat writer to format it. Hope this helps
    Jim