Unanswered: LOAD DATABASE command

Hi All,

In trying to load a dumped (.dmp file) database from a disk-based dump device onto my Sybase 12.0 installation, I receive the following error:

==========================
    Msg 7205, Level 17, State 2
    Can't open a connection to site 'SYB_BACKUP'. See the error log file in the SQL Server boot directory.
    Msg 7205, Level 18, State 3
    Can't open a connection to site 'SYB_BACKUP'. See the error log file in the SQL Server boot directory.
    ==========================

I don't have a database called SYB_BACKUP, although there is a database called SYB_SERVERNAME_BS, which is a backup server generated by Sybase. Furthermore I am unable to find the error log which contains the info I need. Any ideas (a) what may cause this error and / or (b) where I can find the error log?

Thanks,

Jonathan Daniels

Hiya Jonathan,

The error is generated when ASE cannot make calls to the default backup server

The default backup server is named similarly to the installed ASE followed by "_BS".

For example: If my ASE is SIMBA, then by default the backup server will be named as SIMBA_BS. There will be 2 RUN files in the install directory RUN_SIMBA and RUN_SIMBA_BS.

(a) what may cause this error
    -> Backup Server not properly installed - Missing entry in interfaces file, incorrect srvnetname in master..sysservers, or simply backup server not running.

(b) where I can find the error log?
    --> Backup Server errors are found in Error Messages Guide, there is a seperate section for backup server messages.

Cheers
    Willy

Syabse backup server

Hi Willy,

The backup server had not started (I tried to start it from Sybase Central, which subsequently froze, but it did start from the batch file) so that now works. Thanks for that. However I now get the following error when running "load database my_new_database from mydumpdevice":

=====================
    Backup Server session id is: 10. Use this value when executing the 'sp_volchanged' system stored procedure after fulfilling any volume change request from the Backup Server.
    Backup Server: 6.28.1.1: Dumpfile name '_original_dumpfile_name' section number 1 mounted on disk file 'c:\mydumpdevice'
    Msg 3223, Level 20, State 1
    Attempt to read a dump header failed; returned error code is 10.
    Msg 3208, Level 16, State 1
    Unexpected end of file while reading beginning of dump. Please confirm that dump media contains a valid SQL Server dump. The SQL Server error log may contain more information on the problem.
    =====================

The log reports basically the same error:

"00:00000:00001:2002/10/16 12:09:06.45 server Error: 3223, Severity: 20, State: 1
    00:00000:00001:2002/10/16 12:09:06.45 server Attempt to read a dump header failed; returned error code is 10."

On the face of it, all of this tells me that the .dmp file is invalid. However I know that it is from a Sybase 12 installation, although it is on Solaris, I believe, whereas I use Win2000. Is that the source of the problem, in your opinion?

Thanks,

Jonathan Daniels

Hiya Jonathan,

You cannot perform cross platform dump and loads, especially Solaris to Windows.

This is because of the fundamental storagedifferences between these 2 platforms(Sun is Big Endian and Windows are Little Endian).
    I've not tried, but understand from friends that dump and load may work from Linux to Windows.

Although you could use a remote backup server on Windows to backup databases running on SUN. Any attempts to load this dump on Windows ASE itself will fail.

Use sybmigrate, a cross platform migration utility supplied starting from 12.5.0.1 IR

Or simply use ASA 8.0, you can simply copy and paste DBSPACE(database + transaction log) from any platform to any platform without any pain. ASA 8.0 onwards databases are completely platform independent.

Cheers
    Willy