Question Unanswered: MS Access as Front End?

I got a question: is it wise to use MS Access as a Front End with more than 35 users? We are developping now a Marketing System which is based on a Clipper Application and we are using MS Access as Front End and MS SQLServer as Back End. We are wondering if MS Access is suitable or can handle this amount of users, which will be increasing every year. Or should we use C++ or C# instead?

Your choice should be dictated by your comfort level. How comforatable are you with Access, or C++, or any other programing language. Becuse you are using Access as a frunt end you will not have any problems as to amount of users. You need to be concerned about your back end and how many users it can handle. SQL should serve you faithfully for years to come. The access peace does nothing but act as a tunel passing the information, so if you are most comforatable using it than it too should do well. Please do note that Access will require a certain amount of administration due to the nature of the beast. You will have to periodicaly compact the db. So keep that in mind, other languages may not need that type of maintenance. Hope this helps.
    Regards
    Jim

Originally posted by JDionne
    Your choice should be dictated by your comfort level. How comforatable are you with Access, or C++, or any other programing language. Becuse you are using Access as a frunt end you will not have any problems as to amount of users. You need to be concerned about your back end and how many users it can handle. SQL should serve you faithfully for years to come. The access peace does nothing but act as a tunel passing the information, so if you are most comforatable using it than it too should do well. Please do note that Access will require a certain amount of administration due to the nature of the beast. You will have to periodicaly compact the db. So keep that in mind, other languages may not need that type of maintenance. Hope this helps.
    Regards
    Jim
    About the back-end: we use now PostgreSql in a test fase and we consider MS SQLServer. What should you consider? You have also MySql... The system which we are developing will be our main system in which all our departments, as well as our offices abroad are going to use. Intnernet must be integrated too..

Question is if those free databases can handle it (powerfull enough)

Honestly I have not used any of the free databases, I us MS SQL 7 now and have experiance in SQL 2000. I know that these two databases will do all that you need and support the users that you have and will have. If it was my app and money was not a factor I would use MS SQL 2000 because I know it and know that it can handle it. Sorry I could not help more
    Jim

Originally posted by JDionne
    Honestly I have not used any of the free databases, I us MS SQL 7 now and have experiance in SQL 2000. I know that these two databases will do all that you need and support the users that you have and will have. If it was my app and money was not a factor I would use MS SQL 2000 because I know it and know that it can handle it. Sorry I could not help more
    Jim
    No excuses, you helped me enough!

Thanks and have a good day.

Greetings from Amsterdam