Naming Conventions

I have been asked to help with the naming and numbering convention for a new database. At this point I am not very familiar with the database but I have already been asked to dispute the idea of tying the naming convention to individual computers located in outlying areas. Example would be...pc1....name..
    pc2....name.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this topic?

Thanks

Re: Naming Conventions

hi !

which database do you have and what do you want to name ? the tables or views and so on ?

for example oracle: if you install the database system you have to name the database with a unique name. inside this database you can create tablespaces, where a database can be stored.

if you want to name tables, triggers and so on, you can use the following convention (for example):
    t_tablename, tbl_tablename
    v_viewname
    p_procedurename
    tr_triggername

i hope, i could help.

Hi,

I am not in the know at this time to exactly what database is involved. I have only been told that it is Oracle Based. I have been asked to help dispute the idea of tying a naming and numbering convention in this new system to the individual PC's in each office. I personally do not like the idea of a naming convention tied to pc' numbers....your information will be logged in my book for reference at a later time. If you have any other ideas please let me know..
    Much thanks

Originally posted by lctrues
    Hi,

I am not in the know at this time to exactly what database is involved. I have only been told that it is Oracle Based. I have been asked to help dispute the idea of tying a naming and numbering convention in this new system to the individual PC's in each office. I personally do not like the idea of a naming convention tied to pc' numbers....your information will be logged in my book for reference at a later time. If you have any other ideas please let me know..
    Much thanks
    You still haven't said: naming and numbering of WHAT? I take it you are NOT talking about names of database tables, but rather of values of data within tables - am I right? Perhaps you could give a clear example of what they propose to do.

Cool NAMING CONVENTION

I need some advise on a decision that I am trying to make. In the process of assigning a naming convention to set phases ex:Reverse cost of Inventory Transaction (Inventory Transaction is the name of the process with Reverse cost as the verb) ITREC is one idea and the other is RECIN. This is just one instance of using the words Inventory Transaction. It will be used numerous times with different action verbs. Which do you believe is the best optoin?

THANKS !

Re: NAMING CONVENTION

I still don't quite see where these names will be used - table names, program names, documentation?

Anyway, the important thing is that whoever uses these names should be able to understand them easily, i.e. they should be consistent and logical. If Inventory Transaction is a frequently used term, then there may already be a commonly used abbreviation among the user community, e.g. IT or InvTran. If not, you can invent one: InvTran is more readily guessed than IT.

If you are then going to go further and abbreviate your action verbs, then again be consistent: "REC" should always mean "Reverse Cost", never "Receive" or "Recalculate".
    Also be consistent about combining verbs and nouns - i.e. always verb first, or always verb last.

You may want or need to have a consistent length for your abbreviations. I have seen standard formulae used to generate semi-predictable abbreviations e.g. of 3 characters. The one I saw went something like this:
    - If term is one word, take first 2 letters and last letter as abbreviation (e.g. "Employee" becomes "EME")
    - If term is two words, take first letter of each word and last letter of second word (e.g. Inventory Transaction" -> "ITN"
    - If term is three words, take first letter of each word
    - If abbreviation already used, add a numeric suffix e.g. "REC2"
    I'm not a great advocate of this approach, e.g. I think "EMP" is better abbreviation for Employee than "EME"!

Thumbs up

This is the exact information that I needed to confirm what I beleived to be right. Thank you for your help !

Question

Contract Advance
    Recovery of Contract Advance
    Contract Holdback
    Deferred Payment
    Release of Deferred Payment

These are a few of the things I am talking about. Do you have any ideas so that I can compare with others?

Contract Advance
    Recovery of Contract Advance
    Contract Holdback
    Deferred Payment
    Release of Deferred Payment

These are a few of the things I am talking about. Do you have any ideas so that I can compare with others?
    What are your constraints? e.g. length of noun abbreviation must be 3 characters, ... etc.
    Also, what will you be using these abbreviations to do? Name tables, name programs, or what?

5 characters..I forgot to send that sorry

5 characters..I forgot to send that sorry
    You never explain (I have asked MANY times!!!) how these names will be used - table names, program names or what???

That's 5 characters in total for the combination of verb and noun, right? 5 characters is extremely short to convey any kind of meaning, but maybe that isn't important (until you answer my other question, I have no way of knowing!)

Next questions:
    - How many different nouns will you have?
    - How many different verbs will you have?

Depending on the answers to those questions you might go for:
    - 2 char verb, 3 char noun
    - 3 char verb, 2 char noun
    - 1 char verb, 4 char noun
    , 4 char verb, 1 char noun

I will guess that you have more nouns than verbs, and more verbs than would suit using a 1 char abbreviation for verbs, so I will use 2 char verb, 3 char noun. Good guess?

Here goes:

Nouns:
    Contract Advance - CAD
    Contract Holdback - CHB
    Deferred Payment - DFP

Verbs:
    Recovery - RC
    Release - RL

Combinations (always verb first):
    Recovery of Contract Advance - RCCAD
    Release of Deferred Payment - RLDFP

On the other hand, if you had more verbs than nouns I would suggest:

Nouns:
    Contract Advance - CA
    Contract Holdback - CH
    Deferred Payment - DP

Verbs:
    Recovery - RCV
    Release - RLS

Combinations (always verb first):
    Recovery of Contract Advance - RCVCA
    Release of Deferred Payment - RLSDP

Re: Naming Conventions

I haven't said because I am getting bits and pieces on the fax machine as to how they are to be used. I have just received, today, one page shoing anything on this. From what I see these names are the attributes in the table not the table names. I have just found out that the tables are preset with table names.
    I have been asked to help with the naming and numbering convention for a new database. At this point I am not very familiar with the database but I have already been asked to dispute the idea of tying the naming convention to individual computers located in outlying areas. Example would be...pc1....name..
    pc2....name.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this topic?

Thanks

Smile Naming Convention Oracle database

Table is named t-inventory

Within the inventory table is:

Chesterfield
    Bowater
    Weyhauser

how would you name these Pronouns?

Thanks

Re: Naming Convention Oracle database

Table is named t-inventory

Within the inventory table is:

Chesterfield
    Bowater
    Weyhauser

how would you name these Pronouns?

Thanks
    They look like town names to me, so I'd call the column "town"! I don't think I've really understand your question, though.