Unanswered: Acessing Oracle from Linux

Hi,

I have a Oracle 8.1.6 installed on a Linux box (Red Hat 7.2) and it's working fine when I use it from a Windows client, but when I try to access it from other Linux box (another Red Hat 7.2) is reported an error telling me that there isn't LAN connection... Does anyone know what's happeing ?

Thanks in advance,

Stateri.

can you ping the other box?
    can you tnsping the service?

Yes, I can ping the other box. But I don't have the tnsping utility in the box that doesn't have the oracle installed. I have tried to copy it from the oracle box, but an error was reported (error while loading shared libraries: libclntsh.so.8.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory) - I thing that is error is happening because I don't have the oracle installed in this machine. Do you know how can I install the tnsping utility in this box without installing the entire oracle ? Only a information: I have executed the tnsping from the same box where the oracle is installed and the anwser was OK.

Thansk a lot.

How are you trying to access the Linux DB from the other Linux box? Is there Oracle client installed (SQL*Plus)?

Are all the neccessary drivers installed?

To use Oracle binaries you need the liblaries which they are using - $ORACLE_HOME/lib. Try to copy the missing library but that's not supported in any way.

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
    OCP - DBA