Question view performance

sorry for this simple question, but it's important to me.
    we use db2 as database.
    i retrieve data from a table using the query below:

select kod1, kod2, kod3, ad from t_hizmetler where rtrim(kod1) || rtrim(char(kod2)) || rtrim(char(kod3)) in ("+strbuffer.toString()+")

would the performance increase if i would make a view with "rtrim(kod1) || rtrim(char(kod2)) || rtrim(char(kod3))" as a column and get the data from it instead of querying the table itself ? if yes, could someone explain the reason in short ?
    thanks in advance
    Mehmet

Re: view performance

Originally posted by msegmx
    sorry for this simple question, but it's important to me.
    we use db2 as database.
    i retrieve data from a table using the query below:

select kod1, kod2, kod3, ad from t_hizmetler where rtrim(kod1) || rtrim(char(kod2)) || rtrim(char(kod3)) in ("+strbuffer.toString()+")

would the performance increase if i would make a view with "rtrim(kod1) || rtrim(char(kod2)) || rtrim(char(kod3))" as a column and get the data from it instead of querying the table itself ? if yes, could someone explain the reason in short ?
    thanks in advance
    Mehmet
    Well, I don't know DB2, but I would be very surprised if it worked the way you suggest. A view is not a stored table with pre-calculated values like rtrim(kod1) || rtrim(char(kod2)) || rtrim(char(kod3)) stored in it. Rather it is a stored QUERY, so when you say:

"SELECT concat_column FROM myview"

it translates that to something like:

"SELECT concat_column FROM ( SELECT rtrim(kod1) || rtrim(char(kod2)) || rtrim(char(kod3)) FROM mytable )"

So no, it won't be quicker. It will just be easier to write and understand the query, which can be a good thing if it is a common requirement.

Hopefully someone with DB2 knowledge can back me up (or not!)

absolutely right, tony, views are like that in all databases

sql/server, i think, has something called a "materialized view" in recent releases, which, as you can imagine, is more than just the column definitions

rudy

Originally posted by r937
    absolutely right, tony, views are like that in all databases

sql/server, i think, has something called a "materialized view" in recent releases, which, as you can imagine, is more than just the column definitions

rudy
    That helped.
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Mehmet