Unhappy Unanswered: Slow DB access from 2000 & XP

One of my clients runs the backend of an Access 97 DB on an NT 4 server and whenever accessing it from 2000 or XP machine it seems to take forever to load and perform any operation in it. When the database is opened on an NT 4 Workstation however the performance is great, it takes no time for any of the operations. When the backend is run off of a 2000 Pro or XP machine there is no speed issues accessing from any OS platform.

I have now tested it using a combination of SP2 & SP3 on the 2000 client, and SP5 and SP6 on the server and running Access 97 and 2000, but still haven't had any luck. I've looked into several articals on Microsoft and tried some things but still no success. I feel as if it is more related to a network communication issue than a DB programming problem but not being a programmer myself can't say 100%. The DB backend is about 7.5MB and the front end is about 12MB.

I'm at my witts end and getting more grey hairs the more I work on this. The actual programmers are positive that it has nothing to do with their programming and so aren't a whole lot of help with solutions. If anyone has some idea's for me to try please let me know I would really appreciate some experienced help.

Thx.

I think we are experiencing the same sort of problems as you are. We have NT4 SP6 servers using Access 2000 on the workstations. We had no problems when we used Access 97, but are having major problems with our current configuration. Our network people say we don't have any network traffic problems but the performance is still slow when using Access 2000.

I have experienced major differences with the startup of the application from 2 minutes with 1 or 2 Users up to 5 minutes and more with up to 10 concurrent Users. To get round this I have pre created the toolbars and the startup time is now around 2 minutes. It would seem the connection to the Office 9.0 object library was the main culprit here.

I have tried downloading the front end to the workstation without any significant increase in the performance. The backend can't be downloaded of course as all Users need to access the same concurrent data.

I'm sorry I can't provide any solutions, but maybe it helps to know someone else is suffering the same as you.
    Roger Hampson
    XI - ecs (UK) Ltd

It does... I don't know why, but if someone else is pulling their hair out on this as well I don't feel as stupid.

The one thing is, regardless if I use Access 97 or 2000 on the 2K Pro platform the performance is slow. Have you tried a test using the back end on a 2K or XP machine? I'm just wondering if you also see an improvement in preformance off the different OS.

Re: Slow DB access from 2000 & XP

Having exactly the same problem with a client of mine, except they're running an Access 2000 database, front-end fine on 98, very slow on XP, can't find any sensible reason why...

I feel a bit better. Had a trouble ticket open with MS for like 3 weeks now and they don't have a clue.

it sounds to me microsoft is trying to bully us into upgrading the server OS, so have you tried giving microsoft the middle finger and converting the server to Linux? i here it does wonders for network reliability

trivia: Did you know that the NTFS system is almost identical to the Unix and Linux File System that predate NTFS, gee leads you to think microsoft copies Linux doesn't it.
    Definition of a Beginner, Someone who doesn't know the rules.

Definition of an Expert, Someone who knows when to ignore the rules.

hehe... As far as databases go that would be an excellent idea... Now just to convince the client.

Re: Slow DB access from 2000 & XP

I am have the slow data access problem also, it's 4/14/03 and I just spent all day at a clients trying to identify the problem.

Have you found a solution yet?

Please reply to ajaac@bellatlantic.net if possible.

Thank you for your time

alleng

Originally posted by CMatthewB
    One of my clients runs the backend of an Access 97 DB on an NT 4 server and whenever accessing it from 2000 or XP machine it seems to take forever to load and perform any operation in it. When the database is opened on an NT 4 Workstation however the performance is great, it takes no time for any of the operations. When the backend is run off of a 2000 Pro or XP machine there is no speed issues accessing from any OS platform.

I have now tested it using a combination of SP2 & SP3 on the 2000 client, and SP5 and SP6 on the server and running Access 97 and 2000, but still haven't had any luck. I've looked into several articals on Microsoft and tried some things but still no success. I feel as if it is more related to a network communication issue than a DB programming problem but not being a programmer myself can't say 100%. The DB backend is about 7.5MB and the front end is about 12MB.

I'm at my witts end and getting more grey hairs the more I work on this. The actual programmers are positive that it has nothing to do with their programming and so aren't a whole lot of help with solutions. If anyone has some idea's for me to try please let me know I would really appreciate some experienced help.

Thx.

Actually I finally did. I sent you an email.

The fix!

Thank you for the email, I never liked underscores any way, so now I have a reason not to use them in the file names.

I had send out many requests for help and received several replays suggesting following the suggestions at this link: http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/a2kslow.htm

I did these and found that shorting the file names to 5 characters made the most difference, we went from a 14-character name with form load times from 30 seconds to Over 3 mines. I had expected to find that the old dos 8 + 3 file names would be the fastest, but found that 5 character names were more that twice as fast as and 8 character name. We noticed no difference with names shorter that 5 characters. Form load times are now 5 seconds for the first load and about 3 seconds for reloads.

FYI.

We also could not have 2 users linked to the same database, the first would link slowly, the second user would link a couple of table very slowly the access would hang and we had to kill the task. We found that keeping a recordset open corrected this problem, the dbs links much faster, and now multiple people can link to the same database.

You indicated that you had opened a call with Microsoft, do you know if Microsoft is going to address these problems? I have noticed a lot of people experiencing these problems when they replace this old Win 98 PCs with new XP PCs. Even with these work arounds, the new XP PCs seem slower that the old Win 98 PCs.