Unanswered: Sequntial Numbering in A Query, Lebans rownumber, Modules, ADOs and DAOs

Hi,

I'd like to add sequential numbers to a query. I've found a module at www.lebans.com that does this but I'm having difficulty using it.

At first I had trouble because I had a newer version of Access and I had to Register DAO 3.6 and place it higher on the list than ADO. I did this in a small test database and it worked fine.

When I tried using it in my actual database I got what I believe was the same error that I got before I registered it. I selected the same references in this database as I was using in my test database???

I then figured that since the test database worked I would just import all the queries, tables, etc into it and use it. When I did this I still got the error.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Sequntial Numbering in A Query, Lebans rownumber, Modules, ADOs and DAOs

If you need to number rows in a query you can add GLOBAL e.g. lngRowNumber variable an define a function e.g. fNextRowNum
    sample code will be:
    '---declarations
    Global lngRowNum As Long
    '---function
    Function fRowNum(AnyVariable) As Long

lngRowNum = lngRowNum + 1
    fRowNum = lngRowNum

End Function

reset lngRowNum to 0 before you run your query and define on of rows as:
    RowNumber: fRowNum([AnyOtherFieldInYourQuery]) - variable does not matter it is not used anyway.
    Voila! Rows are numbered.
    Should work in any version of Access and independent of libraries.

I don't know VB. Is this the complete code and I enter this as a module and then I just call fnextrownumber in a query?

Thanks

Originally posted by Alec
    If you need to number rows in a query you can add GLOBAL e.g. lngRowNumber variable an define a function e.g. fNextRowNum
    sample code will be:
    '---declarations
    Global lngRowNum As Long
    '---function
    Function fRowNum(AnyVariable) As Long

lngRowNum = lngRowNum + 1
    fRowNum = lngRowNum

End Function

reset lngRowNum to 0 before you run your query and define on of rows as:
    RowNumber: fRowNum([AnyOtherFieldInYourQuery]) - variable does not matter it is not used anyway.
    Voila! Rows are numbered.
    Should work in any version of Access and independent of libraries.

Yes, this is complete code.
    Just in case I addded everything to your database.

Code is in "Module1" - rename it to your liking if you want to.
    "Query1" is modified also - as I told before you can use ANy variable as argument for RowNumber - but reset lngRowNumber to 0 before you call your query, otherwise it will continue counting from where you left off.
    Experiment.. Good luck

Originally posted by tmort
    I don't know VB. Is this the complete code and I enter this as a module and then I just call fnextrownumber in a query?

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Smile

Thanks a lot. It works fine.

For my purposes it really doesn't matter whether I reset if or not but how do I do it.

I tried adding the line that lngRowNum = O to either the beginning or end of the code and it no longer counted.

Thanks again

Tom Mort

You can't do it in the function itself. One possibe solution that if you use a button to open a form based on a Query1 insert

lngRowNum = 0

before
    DoCmd.OpenForm ....

If you create the button with a wizard, open button properties and examine OnClick event then yo will see code behind it.
    Play around with it...
    Regards

Originally posted by tmort
    Thanks a lot. It works fine.

For my purposes it really doesn't matter whether I reset if or not but how do I do it.

I tried adding the line that lngRowNum = O to either the beginning or end of the code and it no longer counted.

Thanks again

Tom Mort