Question Unanswered: Connecting to Oracle using Java API

I'm fairly new to Oracle, but what I'm trying to do should be straight forward (at least that's what I thought). I'm simply trying to connect to an Oracle database using the latest java API (J2SE 1.4.1).
    I downloaded JDBC OCI (type 2) driver form the Oracle Web site along with the appropriate DLL; however when I try to run the following two lines

String dbUrl = "jdbc:oracle:oci8:@test";
    String user = "user";
    String password = "password";
    DriverManager.registerDriver(new oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver());
    Connection c = DriverManager.getConnection(dbUrl, user, password);

I get the following error message:

"java.exe - Entry Point Not Found

The procedure entry point slzsetevar could not be located in the dynamic link library oracore8.dll."

Please note that I am running under Windows 2000 Pro, have Oracle Client 8.1.5 installed, and am able to connect to the same Oracle database using ODBC and PowerBuilder native drivers.

Then I read somewhere that I should use 8.1.7 version of the Oracle client software, so I downloaded it from the Oracle Web site. However when I try to install it under Windows 2000 (by double-clicking on the setup.exe) nothing happens!!!

Any ideas?!

I think this problem can be caused by inconsistent binaries - have you done any sort of client upgrade/alteration?

I would reinstall, or try to use thin drivers instead of OCI.

I don't know if 8.1.5 is 2k compatible.

To install 8.1.7 - you should have the oracle universal installer on your machine anyhow. Start this, and point it at the cd to install 8.1.7.

Best of luck!