Question Unanswered: how to replace blanks with nulls

I have several fields that are set to default to NULL. When I update a table from an ASP form page, the fields for which no input is entered, are passed with a value of "blank". When the table is updated, the "blanks" are inserted into the fields, but I need the value of the "blank" fields to be NULL. I have other queries that are dependant upon the NULL value being in the fields. What is a good solution to this?????

To insert colum1 a null value, you can do this

insert <table> (colum1) values (null)

All values of the column are not blank, in some cases there is data passed to this column, the problem is when the form is submitted with no data and the blanks are then entered into the column.

does your ASP page insert directly into the table or via a stored procedure?

If a stored procedure then you can test each parameter and substitute nulls for zero length strings.

If you insert directly then you will need to periodicaly sweep the table doing global updates

or

create a trigger to modify the data at time of Insert or Update.

You didn't provide to much detail on your problem so post back if you have specific questions
    Paul Young
    (Knowledge is power! Get some!)

More info

I am submitting a form using ASP and inserting or updating directly into SQL Server table, I have not used a stored procedure or a trigger before. Are they more efficient or better to use? I am looking into stored procedures right now.

IMHO, I like the use of stored procedure because you can isolate the underlying schema from your users. Also SQL server pre-optomizes your code saving you that step on each direct call. ODBC will attempt to do this for you to some degree of success.

In SQL server triggers have fallen out of favor for enforcing referencial integrity but are still widely used for business rules. In your case the rule could be replace zero length strings with nulls before inserting data into the db.

If you have never messed with stored procedures and triggers I would suggest giving a stored proc a try. Triggers are written with the same syntax as stored procedures but require alot more understanding of how SQL Server operates. Triggers can bit hard if you don't get them right, debugging a stored procedure can be alot easyier!
    Paul Young
    (Knowledge is power! Get some!)

Cool Good stuff

How about a sample stored procedure for my problem?

Code:
    create table #Tmp1(Parm1 varchar(25))
    go
    create proc sample(
    @Parm1  varchar(25) = Null)

as

if (@Parm1 = '')
      set @Parm1 = Null

Insert into #Tmp1 values(@Parm1)

return 0
    go

exec sample '1'