Unanswered: Upgrade SQLserver 7.0 to 2k

Hi Dist,

We are in the process of upgrading the production SQLserver7.0 to SQLserver 2000.
    Please let me know the steps that i need to perform in order to smooth migration.we also have some DTS pcakges.
    Its the same computer and we are using computer by its name.

Any Tips will be highly appricated.

Thanks
    SAIRAM
    patnaik24@hotmail.com

Cool Re: Upgrade SQLserver 7.0 to 2k

You could use one of three options to get your databases moved over to SQL 2000:
    1.If you want SQL2000 as the named instance just pop in the SQL2000 setup CD and select 'Default instance'.It will automatically upgrade the SQL7 databases to SQL2000 ones.
    2. Restore a 7.0 backup on your 2000 server.
    3. sp_detach_db from 7.0, and sp_Attach_Db on the 2000 server.
    4. Use the copy database wizard, which does a sp_Detach_Db and sp_Attach_Db behind the scenes.

You should first test(functional tests, stress tests etc) your production application on a SQL 2000 server. Please do this before performing the actual upgrade on the production server.Also , please ensure that you have good, valid backups of your 7.0 database before you start this operation. Once you restore your database to the 2000 server, there is no easy way to get your database back to 7.0 except using DTS or bcp. In other words, you will NOT be able to restore/sp_attach a 2000 database on a 7.0 server.

Also, remember to update your statistics and rebuild the Fulltext catalogs,if any, as soon as the database is moved over to SQL 2000. This is very important from a performance perspective.

Hope this helps!
    Jay,
    Originally posted by SairamPatnaik
    Hi Dist,

We are in the process of upgrading the production SQLserver7.0 to SQLserver 2000.
    Please let me know the steps that i need to perform in order to smooth migration.we also have some DTS pcakges.
    Its the same computer and we are using computer by its name.

Any Tips will be highly appricated.

Thanks
    SAIRAM
    patnaik24@hotmail.com