Unanswered: re: Sybase error 3230

Hello
    I wander if anyone out there can help me or have experienced a similar problem as me . I have a case open with Sybase support but don't feel I am getting anywhere to resolve this problem .
    Occasionally when I have backed up a database , the backup fails displaying error 3230 'for logical device 'ProdLog4', neither primary device '/dev/vx/rdsk/logs/ProdLog4 ' nor secondary device is active DUMP DATABASE cannot continue'.
    Now I have been told reboot the server to get the device back online, eventhough the device is not actually offline .But then it happens again and has been happening several times .After weeks of sending several logs files to sybase they have came to the conclusion that there some sort of shared memory corruption , but what is causing this is a mystery . They are convinced it is a OS problem ( Sybase is running on Solaris 7) but the OS logs don't indicate any hardware or software problem.
    Has anyone else ever experienced this problem before ? How did you finally resolve it ?

thanks

Hiya sarnie,

Few questions

1. What release of ASE are you running?
    2. Is this a 32-bit or 64-bit?
    3. Does the backup begin at all? What stage is the backup at?(Stage 1/2/3?)

If you are using lower versions of backup server, can you drop the existing backup server and instead setup a 12.5 backup server as local backup for this dataserver.

Cheers
    Willy

Hi ,
    1.The version is 12.0
    2.Its a 32-bit
    3.The backup does not begin at all
    I believe that the backup server is the same version as the ASE .

Originally posted by willy_and_the_ci
    Hiya sarnie,

Few questions

1. What release of ASE are you running?
    2. Is this a 32-bit or 64-bit?
    3. Does the backup begin at all? What stage is the backup at?(Stage 1/2/3?)

If you are using lower versions of backup server, can you drop the existing backup server and instead setup a 12.5 backup server as local backup for this dataserver.

Cheers
    Willy