Question Unanswered: Bypassing opening or auto execute macros

Hello I am new to this forum and novice at database development.
    I have question about bypassing a access DB Password and Auto execute Macro. My Boss at work has a DB that he has compacted and changed the Macros to VB Modules now all he gets is a black screen after entering the password. Normally after entering the password his auto execute (was Marco now VB) open a switch board type form that has Macro buttons to execute different reports and functions within the DB. Now where locked out of DB. Is there a back door to access the tables or better yet fix problem which I believe to be in the VB Modules my boss created.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Bypassing opening or auto execute macros

Have you tried holding down SHIFT key while starting you application?
    Also search access help for AllowSpecialKeys & AllowBypassKey.

Talking AllowSpecialKeys & AllowBypassKey

We tried holding down the shift key that didn't work.
    Will look in to AllowSpecialKeys & AllowBypassKey.

Thanks

Have you tried going to window, unhide and unhide the database you are trying to work on?

Also, since you are not using an AutoExec macro for startup you need to specify which form you would like to show on startup. Do this by going to tools, startup and selecting the form from the drop-down menu that you would like to appear upon startup.

HTH!!
    Don't do today, what can be done tomorrow.

Try to check the box, Show Database Window to show your database, and then try to set the startup form.

Looking at the flip side of this discussion, is there a way I can prevent the user from being able to use the shift key to bypass the startup stuff?

This means I want to create an application, then roll it out with the SHIFT key functionality disabled.

I read about setting AllowBypassKeys to false. But how do I do that at startup when the user can use SHIFT to by-pass the startup stuff?...It's a variation of the chicken and egg question.

Thanks
    Last edited by jsorense; 11-04-02 at 13:49.

Actually it is not chickem and egg, if you disable everything - AllowBypassKey,AllowSpecialKeys,...etc, everything on Statup panel that start with "Allow" :-), then the user pretty much can not do anything, except import everything to another database and try to get it working.
    AllowBypassKey and others are working also when you NEXT run the database
    Just remember to add swichboard and not to lock yourself out.
    HTH

I don't see any of this on the startup panel. My startup panel (Tools->Startup) shows
    Application title: (textbox)
    Display Form/Page: (textbox)
    Application Icon: (textbox)
    Display Database Window (checkbox)
    Display Status Bar (checkbox)
    Menu Bar: (dropdown list)
    Shortcut Menu Bar: (dropdown list)
    Allow Full menus (checkbox)
    Allow Default Shortcut Menus (checkbox)
    Allow Built-in Toolbars (checkbox)
    Allow Toolbar/Menu Changes (checkbox)
    Use Access Shpecial Keys (checkbox)

Please, where do I disable "Allowxxxxxx"?
    Thank you much.

Sotty for sounding a bit confusing.
    To prevent anyone modifing your database, disable everything especially checkboxes that start with "Allow.." (that is what i meant( and "Use Access Special Keys".
    Just beware that you will be locking yourself out also! Keep development copy.
    Search Access help for details what individual items do.

Also database will start with empty screen unless you specify an startup form in "Display Form" dropdown.

HTH

A bit to add a after reviewing the thread. - AllowBypassKey and other DB properties can be set from VB, there may not be an equvalent you can set from menu.

See access help for AllowBypassKey property example for sample code.

Thanks much...issue resolved.

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Alec
    A bit to add a after reviewing the thread. - AllowBypassKey and other DB properties can be set from VB, there may not be an equvalent you can set from menu.

See access help for AllowBypassKey property example for sample code.
    Alec,
    All you mentioned were good points.

The Use Special Access Keys checkbox is only visible after you click on the Advanced button in the Start-up Dialog box.

There is also a help file item that shows how to set each of the available properties using VB. Search for the string "Startup Properties Example" to find it.
    Regards,
    Terry