Unanswered: MySQL: Error 2013 - Used to be able to connect remotely, now I can't.

For the past 6 months, I've had the same MySQL Server running flawlessly. I could connect to the server from a remote (static ip) address with no problems.

Just last night I upgraded my RH7.2 kernal to 2.4.18-17.7.x -- since then, I'm getting [domain] ERROR 2013: Lost connection to MySQL server during query. I hunted down the MySQL documentation, I've checked the mysqladmin variables and ... nothing has changed. Everything is fine. I can 'ssh' onto the box and log into mysql just fine, so, locally to the box I can do everything. I just can't do anything remote.

When I tail the mysqld.log file when attempting to connect, I get:
    Number of processes running now: 1
    mysqld process hanging, pid 2297 - killed
    021103 13:25:17 mysqld restarted
    /usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections

So, it looks like mysql is restarting on every attempt to connect from a remote location. It's crazy! Has anyone else had these problems?

Thanks,
    ~Todd
    Team Macromedia Volunteer for ColdFusion
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia/

Well, after digging around and not finding much success.. I downloaded the latest MySQL stable-rpm and installed it... my problems went away. :P
    Team Macromedia Volunteer for ColdFusion
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia/

I'm having exactly the same problem...

I'm running 4.0.13 on a WinNT 4.0 machine and cannot stay connected to the remote server. I believe the problem is that the wait_timeout variable on the remote server is set at 10 seconds- something that can't be changed.

Can you elaborate on 'stable_rpm'? I've searched the mysql.com site to no avail.

Any help will be appreciated- I'm absotlutely stalled out until I can fix this problem.

Re: I'm having exactly the same problem...

Originally posted by Earl Parker II
    I'm running 4.0.13 on a WinNT 4.0 machine and cannot stay connected to the remote server. I believe the problem is that the wait_timeout variable on the remote server is set at 10 seconds- something that can't be changed.

Can you elaborate on 'stable_rpm'? I've searched the mysql.com site to no avail.

Any help will be appreciated- I'm absotlutely stalled out until I can fix this problem.
    not sure its that, may it be a problem with earlier version of winsock. mysql 4.0.13 is quite new and i dont think it has been thoroughly tested with win nt4 (windows 9x, 2k and above probably)

why dont you try the 'stable' version 3.23.53 or try the newest service pack for NT.

the mentioned 'stable', i personally think, is the production version of mysql (thoroughly tested versions) compared to Alpha/ Beta versions that are in development process.

and the 'rpm' might be the pre-compiled download!

hope this helps
    qha_vn

qha_vn

I uninstalled 4.0.13, installed 3.23.56 and, unfortunately, have the same problem. I also have SP6 for NT.

I finally found 'stable_rpm' on mysql.com. It's actually Stable RPM and is the MySQL source files for Linux.

I've spoken to the people at the server that host my websites and they mentioned that there is a script (don't know if I'm using the term correctly) that will keep a connection 'alive' so that you can actually work with a remote database. Do you have any knowledge this and know where I might get it?

Thanks for taking the time to help!

Sorry to know that it doesnt work for you, i unfortunately dont know the script they have mentioned, maybe somebody here may help. if i still remember, someone has posted the same thing in this forum.

anybody else?
    qha_vn