Red face Unanswered: Any way to eliminate the Read Only dialog

I have finally completed the development of a complicated set of forms in MS Access that query, add, and manipulate data in an Oracle database. I compiled the application as an MDE file and now want to deploy it on a server for multiple users. The problem is that when I leave the MDE file as a read-only file, I now get a dialog box stating that the file is read-only and that no objects can be modified.

Duh! I meant to do that! Nothing in the MDE needs to be changed, nor would I want it to be changed. Is there any way to bypass the dialog box?
    Regards,
    Terry

Re: Any way to eliminate the Read Only dialog

Access needs to save some info within database during it's operation, it cannot do that if database is read-only. No object will be changed if you remove read-only tag.
    "System' and "Archive" and other file tags can get in the way of Access working properly.

Originally posted by spraguetr
    I have finally completed the development of a complicated set of forms in MS Access that query, add, and manipulate data in an Oracle database. I compiled the application as an MDE file and now want to deploy it on a server for multiple users. The problem is that when I leave the MDE file as a read-only file, I now get a dialog box stating that the file is read-only and that no objects can be modified.

Duh! I meant to do that! Nothing in the MDE needs to be changed, nor would I want it to be changed. Is there any way to bypass the dialog box?

Re: Any way to eliminate the Read Only dialog

Originally posted by Alec
    Access needs to save some info within database during it's operation, it cannot do that if database is read-only. No object will be changed if you remove read-only tag.
    "System' and "Archive" and other file tags can get in the way of Access working properly.
    My only problem with that is, then the file can be deleted from the server where the file resides. I really would like to have the file be read only to protect the application from any change (including deletion) and not have the dialog appear. I thought that since there are many start-up switches to launch Access, there might be one to bypass the dialog box too.
    Regards,
    Terry

have you tried removing the read only tag and changing the permissions so that the user don't have delete permission?
    Definition of a Beginner, Someone who doesn't know the rules.

Definition of an Expert, Someone who knows when to ignore the rules.

Originally posted by m.timoney
    have you tried removing the read only tag and changing the permissions so that the user don't have delete permission?
    Unfortunately, the file has to be deployed on a UNIX file server that has SAMBA running to allow the file share for the Windows clients (no option on this, my hands are tied). In UNIX, giving users write permission to the file also gives them delete permission.
    Regards,
    Terry

I have done what is suggested above. The file is not tagged as read only. Users have read-only permission on the directory and still get the message. I too, just want the message to go away.

Quote Originally Posted by cjoe
    I have done what is suggested above. The file is not tagged as read only. Users have read-only permission on the directory and still get the message. I too, just want the message to go away.
    The read only flag on the directory will cascade through onto the file. so even though the file doesn't have a RO flag on it, it still has the flag

[edit]
    I'm still thinking windows file permissions, been to long since i worked in linux or unix so i might be blowing smoke
    Last edited by m.timoney; 04-29-09 at 11:23.

Samba share permissions simplified

chmod - read, write, noDELETE? - The macosxhints Forums

they look to do what your asking the first on highlights that samba is subservient to the Native OS

the second shows how to grant write permission without granting delete permission