Unanswered: Unable to open service MSSQLSERVER for reading on Local Computer

I recently got this error when I boot up my machine. I have SQL 2000 Developer Edition Installed. My setup is the following:

Machine1 - windows 2000 DC
    Machine2 - windows 2000 DC (backup DC), SQL 2000 Standard Edition
    Workstation1 - Windows XP Pro, SQL 2000 Developer Edition
    Workstation2- Windows XP Pro, SQL 2000 Developer Edition
    Workstation3 - Windows XP Pro, SQL 2000 Developer Edition

All of the machine are in 1 domain. All Workstations get authentication from Machine1. Before I promote Machine2 as DC, I never encountered the error. After promoting Machine2 to be DC, all workstation encountered same error stated in the subject. I cannot stop, start, pause any SQL service - always Access denied with Error 5, though enterprise manager is working and all services are started but I cannot manipulate the services.

Plus, I got this from my windows XP event log (Application)
    SuperSocket info: (SpnRegister): Error 5

Any Idea? Any help is greatly appreciated.

RE: setup is the following:
    Machine1 - windows 2000 DC
    Machine2 - windows 2000 DC (backup DC), SQL 2000 Standard Edition
    Workstation1 - Windows XP Pro, SQL 2000 Developer Edition
    Workstation2- Windows XP Pro, SQL 2000 Developer Edition
    Workstation3 - Windows XP Pro, SQL 2000 Developer Edition
    All of the machine are in 1 domain. All Workstations get authentication from Machine1. Before I promote Machine2 as DC, I never encountered the error. After promoting Machine2 to be DC, all workstation encountered same error stated in the subject. I cannot stop, start, pause any SQL service - always Access denied with Error 5, though enterprise manager is working and all services are started but I cannot manipulate the services. Plus, I got this from my windows XP event log (Application) SuperSocket info: (SpnRegister): Error 5

Q1 Any Idea? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    A1 I interpet this to mean all are "dead in the water". Have you tried:
    i Reinserting all account information DOMAIN\SQLSERVICEACCT including password for each MSSQL service on each machine and restarting the sql services?
    ii Setting Workstation1, 2, 3 to use local service accounts and restarting the sql services?

Haven't tried that. Right now, I cannot even start/stop the service, even when I access the properties of the SQL Server service and Agent service, it says access denied. When I restart the machine, right after logging in, Net Service Configuration Dialogue box comes up saying access denied. I can see the SQL service manager Icon from the task bar but the green arrow in the icon is not present though the service is started.

I am wondering, It only happened when Machine2 was promoted to DC, when it was a member server the problem doesn't exist. Now all machines in my network were affected.

Question

You seem to have some kind of PDC BDC domain / authentication issue(s).

You might try:
    i See what happens with your BDC off
    ii Try unjoining one of the workstations; if you have normal stand alone server and Sql Services operation and access then; try rejoining the workstation.
    iii Undo the BDC promotion.

I asume you are logging on as a domain admin or other acct with sufficient rights to do what is necessary.

Alredy tried putting Machine2 (2nd DC) offline - same results. Still all the workstations have the same problem. Also tried unjoining workstation1, still the same.

I tried logging in to one of the workstations using a different account, it worked! I can stop/start/pause the services. What is really strange is when I log in again using the account that I used to install the SQL server on my Workstation, the problem comes back. Does this something to do with Active Directory? or Machine2 promotion to DC?

RE: Alredy tried putting Machine2 (2nd DC) offline - same results. Still all the workstations have the same problem. Also tried unjoining workstation1, still the same.

I tried logging in to one of the workstations using a different account, it worked! I can stop/start/pause the services. What is really strange is when I log in again using the account that I used to install the SQL server on my Workstation, the problem comes back. Does this something to do with Active Directory? or Machine2 promotion to DC?

Q1 Does this something to do with Active Directory? or Machine2 promotion to DC?

A1 It is difficult to say. It may be limited to ACL corruption involving some user accounts. You might want to try deleting accounts that do not work. Unless this is a production environment, you may just want to redo it (at least the DCs, you can unjoin and rejoin the workstations to another domain later).

Yes, this is a production environment. I didn't include the other machines/workstation that are affected in my problem description earlier. All of our developers where affected by this problem, total of 12 machines.

Originally posted by yoday
    RE: Yes, this is a production environment. I didn't include the other machines/workstation that are affected in my problem description earlier. All of our developers where affected by this problem, total of 12 machines.
    S1 If I'd realized that it was a production domain I'd have urged more caution. Did creating new accounts and diaabling / removing "bad" ones work? There is a command line interface you may be able to use to diagnose various AD problems, (that you may want to (carefully) look into). I last worked with it in a "horribly corrupted" development / testing domain (when specifically testing for W2k "nightmare" migration issues about three years ago or so).

creating new accounts and disabling bad accounts didn't work. I even reset accounts, but no luck.

By the way, the Machine2 that was promoted as DC doesn't have any DNS configuration.

Any Idea?

Originally posted by yoday
    creating new accounts and disabling bad accounts didn't work. I even reset accounts, but no luck.

By the way, the Machine2 that was promoted as DC doesn't have any DNS configuration.

Any Idea?

Q1 Any Idea?
    A1 Maybe but mostly confusion. From an earlier post:
    "I tried logging in to one of the workstations using a different account, it worked! I can stop/start/pause the services. What is really strange is when I log in again using the account that I used to install the SQL server on my Workstation, the problem comes back."

S1 I think you need to copy those accounts that "worked" if you are able to?

S2 Also it would probably be worthwhile to find out exactly what differentiates those that "work" from those that no longer do. Make lists and compare them (If the accounts that don't work all happen to be domain accounts and those that do all happen to be local server accounts, that would make some sense, as that indicate a domain accounts problem). Just from the posts, it really isn't clear what the situation is.