Angry Unanswered: Too many records in union query

I have one query which returns 374 records and one that returns 15 records. I copied and pasted the SQL from these two queries into a union query and it returns 546 records, but it should really be 389? If it were fewer records, I would understand. The "extra" records I find in the union query are correct as far as my criteria. So why would the same exact SQL return different records just because it's in a union query? Any ideas?

The only thing that I can think of is that you dont have a group by. Other than that I have no Idea.
    Jim

I hope, no. of columns and their order will be same.

You may post here query too.

Distinct is good option to make them stopping repeating.

SQL

It's rather lengthy, but here goes. I've also tried saving both these selects as separate queries and then using those queries in a union query, same effect. FYI, the extra records I'm finding are distinct, there aren't any duplicates in the results of the query, so I don't think it's as simple as a group. Any insight is appreciated.

SELECT AP_hardware_type.description AS Type, AP_asset.equipment_id AS [Bar Code], AP_asset.serial_number AS [Serial Number], IIf(IsNull([desk_number]),[previous_loc],[desk_number]) AS [From Desk], AP_asset.location_code AS [To], IIf([survey_date]>[loc_transfer_date] Or IsNull([loc_transfer_date]),[survey_date],[loc_transfer_date]) AS [Transfer Date]
    FROM ((AP_asset INNER JOIN AP_asset_model ON AP_asset.model_code = AP_asset_model.model_code) INNER JOIN AP_hardware_type ON AP_asset_model.hardware_type_code = AP_hardware_type.hardware_type_code) LEFT JOIN dbo_pc_equipment ON AP_asset.serial_number = dbo_pc_equipment.serial_number
    WHERE (((AP_hardware_type.description)<>"HAND HELD" And (AP_hardware_type.description)<>"MONITOR SWITCH BOX") AND ((AP_asset.location_code) Like "74S*" Or (AP_asset.location_code) Like "39P*" Or (AP_asset.location_code) Like "70H*" Or (AP_asset.location_code) Like "12S*") AND ((IIf(IsNull([desk_number]),Null,IIf(InStr(9,[desk_number]," "),Left([desk_number],InStr(9,[desk_number]," ")-1),[desk_number]))) Is Null Or (IIf(IsNull([desk_number]),Null,IIf(InStr(9,[desk_number]," "),Left([desk_number],InStr(9,[desk_number]," ")-1),[desk_number])))<>[location_code]) AND ((AP_asset.loc_transfer_date)>DateAdd("d",(SELECT Max([AP To TCS Macro Last Run].[Macro Last Run]) FROM [AP To TCS Macro Last Run]),-7))) OR (((AP_hardware_type.description)<>"LAPTOP" And (AP_hardware_type.description)<>"HAND HELD" And (AP_hardware_type.description)<>"MONITOR SWITCH BOX") AND ((IIf(IsNull([desk_number]),[previous_loc],[desk_number])) Like "74S*" Or (IIf(IsNull([desk_number]),[previous_loc],[desk_number])) Like "39P*" Or (IIf(IsNull([desk_number]),[previous_loc],[desk_number])) Like "70H*" Or (IIf(IsNull([desk_number]),[previous_loc],[desk_number])) Like "12S*") AND ((AP_asset.location_code)="N/K") AND ((AP_asset.loc_transfer_date)>DateAdd("d",(SELECT Max([AP To TCS Macro Last Run].[Macro Last Run]) FROM [AP To TCS Macro Last Run]),-7))) OR (((AP_hardware_type.description)<>"HAND HELD" And (AP_hardware_type.description)<>"MONITOR SWITCH BOX") AND ((AP_asset.location_code) Like "74S*" Or (AP_asset.location_code) Like "39P*" Or (AP_asset.location_code) Like "70H*" Or (AP_asset.location_code) Like "12S*") AND ((IIf(IsNull([desk_number]),Null,IIf(InStr(9,[desk_number]," "),Left([desk_number],InStr(9,[desk_number]," ")-1),[desk_number]))) Is Null Or (IIf(IsNull([desk_number]),Null,IIf(InStr(9,[desk_number]," "),Left([desk_number],InStr(9,[desk_number]," ")-1),[desk_number])))<>[location_code]) AND ((AP_asset.loc_transfer_date) Is Null) AND ((AP_asset.survey_date)>DateAdd("d",(SELECT Max([AP To TCS Macro Last Run].[Macro Last Run]) FROM [AP To TCS Macro Last Run]),-7))) OR (((AP_hardware_type.description)<>"LAPTOP" And (AP_hardware_type.description)<>"HAND HELD" And (AP_hardware_type.description)<>"MONITOR SWITCH BOX") AND ((IIf(IsNull([desk_number]),[previous_loc],[desk_number])) Like "74S*" Or (IIf(IsNull([desk_number]),[previous_loc],[desk_number])) Like "39P*" Or (IIf(IsNull([desk_number]),[previous_loc],[desk_number])) Like "70H*" Or (IIf(IsNull([desk_number]),[previous_loc],[desk_number])) Like "12S*") AND ((AP_asset.location_code)="N/K") AND ((AP_asset.loc_transfer_date) Is Null) AND ((AP_asset.survey_date)>DateAdd("d",(SELECT Max([AP To TCS Macro Last Run].[Macro Last Run]) FROM [AP To TCS Macro Last Run]),-7)))

UNION SELECT dbo_tcs_code_table.code_table_description AS Type, dbo_pc_equipment.bar_code AS [Bar Code], dbo_pc_equipment.serial_number AS [Serial Number], dbo_pc_equipment.desk_number AS [From Desk], [location] & "-" & [p_l] AS [To], Now() AS [Transfer Date]
    FROM (((dbo_pc_equipment LEFT JOIN AP_asset ON dbo_pc_equipment.serial_number = AP_asset.serial_number) INNER JOIN [Locations Surveyed] ON dbo_pc_equipment.desk_number = [Locations Surveyed].location_code) INNER JOIN dbo_tcs_code_table ON dbo_pc_equipment.type = dbo_tcs_code_table.code_table_value) INNER JOIN dbo_desk ON dbo_pc_equipment.desk_number = dbo_desk.desk_number
    WHERE (((dbo_tcs_code_table.code_table_description)<>"LA PTOP") AND ((dbo_pc_equipment.bar_code) Is Null) AND ((dbo_pc_equipment.desk_number) Not Like "*HUD*") AND (([Locations Surveyed].survey_date)>DateAdd("d",(SELECT Max([AP To TCS Macro Last Run].[Macro Last Run]) FROM [AP To TCS Macro Last Run]),-7)) AND ((dbo_tcs_code_table.code_table_type)="PC_TYPE") AND ((AP_asset.serial_number) Is Null));

If you can put your DB as a ZIP File, prob it would be better to understand

Mean while try to use a select query on this Uniqon query and use a sort and DISTINCT. It might help.

Just a suggestion only...

HTH.

Rohit

Unfortunately, the tables I'm using in the query are linked via ODBC (to Sybase), so I don't think zipping the database to attach will help. I took the two select statements I was using, saved them as individual queries and then created the union query using those, so it's a little easier to look at (below). I've tried creating a select query on this union query using Select Distinct and grouping, and I still get more records. What's disturbing is that the extra records are correct as far as what I'm trying to pull from the tables, so I don't know why they're not pulled by the individual selects. Very odd...

SELECT [TCS Export Asset AP ONLY Move].Type, [TCS Export Asset AP ONLY Move].[Bar Code], [TCS Export Asset AP ONLY Move].[Serial Number], [TCS Export Asset AP ONLY Move].[From Desk], [TCS Export Asset AP ONLY Move].[To], [TCS Export Asset AP ONLY Move].[Transfer Date]
    FROM [TCS Export Asset AP ONLY Move]

UNION SELECT [TCS Export PC_Equip TCS ONLY Move].Type, [TCS Export PC_Equip TCS ONLY Move].[Bar Code], [TCS Export PC_Equip TCS ONLY Move].[Serial Number], [TCS Export PC_Equip TCS ONLY Move].[From Desk], [TCS Export PC_Equip TCS ONLY Move].[To], [TCS Export PC_Equip TCS ONLY Move].[Transfer Date]
    FROM [TCS Export PC_Equip TCS ONLY Move]