Unanswered: Listbox - Display horizontal instead of vertical

Hello again,

I have been searching the forums and it appears that I want to do something that is not often attempted or thought of.

I have a single field returned by an SQL query with up to 15 text items. I would like to have these items displayed from left to right and then descending with perhaps 4 or 5 to a row.

It appears that the ColumnCount property is only for when more than one field is returned and in fact this is the way I normally use it.

My problem is that I simple do not have enough real estate on the form to list these items vertically. Well my client is not interested in that either!

The only work-around I have come up seems like a pain in the rear. That would be to re-format the table(s) into many columns, use the ColumnCount property and then figure out how to trap whichever text in the list the user clicks on. (Like 2nd row, 4th column).

Any advice will be appreciated.
    Regards, Kaniksu

You can do it but it would require a lot of work.

You need to add a count or inde colum to you query to allow for referencing.

You would need to create a grid of unbound text boxes on your form to allow for the maimum ever records to be returned.

You could use dlookups to populate each text box based on its inde in the query.

I hope you follow :0)

Talking

denofdeath (that's a rough name ),

I have come to the same conclusions. None of these options seem attractive.

I am going to go with a combo box to start with and see if my client balks. It would have been nice if text entries in a listbox could spread horizontally but it also probably seemed too difficult of a structure to interest Microsoft seriously.

Thanks for your help!
    Regards, Kaniksu