Unanswered: Stack Overflow Dump Not Possible Error ...panic

Hello all, Let me Explain the Scenario in detail to u all
    I have a Database PrimaryDB ..
    I took a Backup of it..

In another machine where SQL server is installed ....
    I went to Enterprise manager and Tried creating the new Database with my existing backup of primary DB.
    I got an error saying..

Unicode comparision style code differ between the databases ...hence restoring is not possible..

I tried to set the value of Unicode Comparision style of Primarydb to the new DB using sp_configure.. and i was successfull.

but when i restarted the service, I am getting an error..STACK OVERFLOW DUMP NOT POSSIBLE...

What to do now.. ?
    Please provide me suggestions/work arounds..

Thanks and Regards
    SAI

Question Re: Stack Overflow Dump Not Possible Error ...panic

Originally posted by vjeedigunta
    Hello all, Let me Explain the Scenario in detail to u all
    I have a Database PrimaryDB ..
    I took a Backup of it..
    In another machine where SQL server is installed ....
    I went to Enterprise manager and Tried creating the new Database with my existing backup of primary DB.
    I got an error saying..
    Unicode comparision style code differ between the databases ...hence restoring is not possible..
    I tried to set the value of Unicode Comparision style of Primarydb to the new DB using sp_configure.. and i was successfull.
    but when i restarted the service, I am getting an error..STACK OVERFLOW DUMP NOT POSSIBLE...
    What to do now.. ?
    Please provide me suggestions/work arounds.. Thanks and Regards
    SAI
    Q1 [I tried to set the value of Unicode Comparision style of Primarydb to the new DB using sp_configure.. and i was successfull but when i restarted the service, I am getting an error..STACK OVERFLOW DUMP NOT POSSIBLE...]
    S1 I seem to remember reading something about unicode comparison style, (I think in some 7.0 service pack reademe?). You might want to check your sp levels on each machine, make sure they are the same or at least compatible regarding your server differences. Also, unicode comparison style is one of a number of collation related components that has (necessarily) been altered over time (I am pretty sure this was allready the case at least by the time of the general beta SQL Server 2000 release). If you are on any edition of Sql Server 2k on either of the servers, I might expect some issues with unicode comparison style option settings.

Q2 What to do now.. ?
    S2 Well, how about attempting to use DTS to transfer all the data (that should script everything out and recreate the 'copy' DB with the default settings of the target and avoid a number [not necessarily all] of collation and other server difference related issues.)

Exclamation Re: Stack Overflow Dump Not Possible Error ...panic

Originally posted by vjeedigunta
    What to do now.. ?
    Please provide me suggestions/work arounds.. Thanks and Regards
    SAI
    Q2 What to do now.. ?
    S3 Some other possibilities occured to me (as to why restore may fail as you described): if both servers are actually 7.0 and both use the same collation, it may be that master is damaged on one or the other. In that case, rebuilding the (damaged) master database may ultimately address the problem. (In any case, thouroughly checking the system DBs and the source user db would be a good idea; dbcc checkdb, etc.). Another possibility: if both servers are actually 7.0 and they were built on different collations; you'll probably (at least) have to rebuild master on the target server and match the collation of the source, when doing so (actually you may have to reinstall the target entirely using the source collation).

Thanks DBA

Thanks for spending some time on my Posting DBA..but the problem for me is I have my Pimary DB in EUROPE and My Secondary DB is supposed to me in USA...so i need to do this restoring using some remote network tools..

sai

Re: Thanks DBA

Thanks for spending some time on my Posting DBA..but the problem for me is I have my Pimary DB in EUROPE and My Secondary DB is supposed to me in USA...so i need to do this restoring using some remote network tools.. sai

Q1 I need to do this restoring using some remote network tools.
    A1 You can do everything I've mentioned remote e.g. (Win 2k admin terminal services, pc anywhere, vnc, timbuktu remote, etc., etc.); All you would need to do is have someone at the remote site(s) insert the MS Sql Server Media.

Q2 The problem for me is I have my Pimary DB in EUROPE and My Secondary DB is supposed to me in USA.
    A2 I think this is probably a major clue; You haven't explicitly stated so, but I suspect both installations are MS Sql Server 7.0 installed with DIFFERENT collations e.g. (European country default and USA default).

S1 If my A2 guess is correct (and both installations are in fact MS Sql Server 7.0) you'll probably have to (at best) rebuild master on the target USA server and match the collation of the EUROPE source, when doing so. That may not work however, and you very well may have to uninstall / reinstall the USA target MS Sql Server RDBMS engine using the EUROPE source collation, before you are able to directly restore Europe DB dumps to it. Fortunatly you can do all of that from a remote location if necessary. (There are other possible workarounds that may or may not be workable depending on what resources you have available to work with.)