Question Unanswered: Command to turn autocommit off/on??

Greetings,

I am building a web app in ColdFusion with DB2 (UDB Workgroup Unlimited v7.1) as the backend. I need to have autocommit set to off. Either by having my app send a command (more preferable), or can I just set the DB2 server to always be autocommit off (not as preferable but acceptable).
    I could not find anything in the ODBC setup on the web server, nor a command. Am I missing it?

tia,

John

Re: Command to turn autocommit off/on??

I think setting the db2cli.ini parameter
    AUTOCOMMIT=0
    for the db alias at every client which accesses the database should do the trick ...

HTH

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by s1devwiz
    Greetings,

I am building a web app in ColdFusion with DB2 (UDB Workgroup Unlimited v7.1) as the backend. I need to have autocommit set to off. Either by having my app send a command (more preferable), or can I just set the DB2 server to always be autocommit off (not as preferable but acceptable).
    I could not find anything in the ODBC setup on the web server, nor a command. Am I missing it?

tia,

John

Re: Command to turn autocommit off/on??

Hi,

We have a Java apllication with UDB as a databse.
    We are making autocommit off on the application level. You can try the following.
    After you get connection :
    Connection l_objConnection = DriverManager.getConnection(DBNAME,DBUSERNAME,DBPA SSWORD);
    l_objConnection.setAutoCommit(false);

When I tried it didn't work through db2cli.ini.

Warm Regards

Smile Re: Command to turn autocommit off/on??

Just to let you know....
    ‚hf your application is written in Java,( as you said that it's Web application ) "autocommit on " is the default spec of JDBC.( not the problem of DB2)
    In Java world, when you need a transaction processing , you have to change autocommit to "off" before creating a database connection.
    Please see http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/gu...n.html#1004665
    for JDBC spec.

Generally, if you're not in Java world, DB2 usually doesn't "autocommit"( except Command Line Processor of which default is autocommit=on )

Thumbs up

Thank you Sathyaram,

That worked. After the change, I needed to force the server to reestablish its ODBC connection before the change took effect. (I rebooted, although I probably could have done it by stopping the service(s) and restarting them)

John

You can create another alias for the same database with AUTOCOMMIT=1 (the default) ... If you have another application which wants autocommit on, the above alias can be used ...

Though obvious, I thought it will be worth mentioning ...

Cheers

Sathyaram
    Originally posted by s1devwiz
    Thank you Sathyaram,

That worked. After the change, I needed to force the server to reestablish its ODBC connection before the change took effect. (I rebooted, although I probably could have done it by stopping the service(s) and restarting them)

John