Cool Relating Domain Tables

When using domain tables (lookup tables) with just a few records, is it better to join them by a logical code name (with cascading updates) or an identity id number?

As an example, if I am specifying different phone types, am I better off relating the table by "Home", "Business", "Fax", "Cell" or by a separate identity column.

interesting question, as it can elicit passionate debate

it's the "natural versus surrogate" argument

natural keys often have the advantage of not needing to join to the lookup table for comprehension -- in your example, phone number types Home, Business, Fax, and Cell -- whereas surrogate keys force you to do the join

in terms of performance, natural keys often take up more room and perform worse in indexes

however, in your case you did say "just a few records" so given that scenario, i'd probably use a natural key

rudy
    http://rudy.ca/

Thanks...that is exactly the type of answer I was looking for. Most people just reply "It depends on your needs" without offering any general guidelines.

Originally posted by jackb
    Thanks...that is exactly the type of answer I was looking for. Most people just reply "It depends on your needs" without offering any general guidelines.
    They'll also say "it depends on your DBMS." One problem with natural keys is that they tend to lead to compound primary keys, which SQL DBMS's don't handle well.

Try to get the design right first, and then do profiling so you can use objective measures to determine performance.

In this case, for example, a clever DBMS could very well pool string values behind the scenes so there might be no appreciable increase in size!