Angry Unanswered: Import Excel spreadsheet into table

I am trying to import a spreadsheet in excel into an existing table in my DB. Or into a new table. I keep getting a generic error msg stating there was an error and it couldn't specific reason though.

I have named the excel fields exactly as the DB fields. I have two with underscores (i.e. Provider_Name) and one without.
    I have kept the excel file name the same as the DB name and I have renamed the excel spreadsheet. I have tried renaming the DB table aswell. Nothing seems to work.

Is there something I am missing?

*I am not familiar with any answers will have to be in simple terms.

Thanks in advance.

Rochester, NY
    1) Are you trying to import the data into Access using File/Get External Data/Import from within Access or are you trying to Export data from Excel using Data/Convert to MS Access?

2) Does the data you're trying to convert contain dates? I often experience conversion problems between Access and Excel because of date format problems.

Also check for a table named <<your_table_name>>$_ImportErrors. This table should tell you record numbers and field names that are causing the error(s).

Re: Import Excel spreadsheet into table

Hello there,

I have run into a similar problem and think I have found a fix. The problem we have is (I think) related to having Access XP and 97 installed on the same machine. Basically one of the DLLs wasn't registered to the newest version.

This Microsoft article helped me:;en-us;303805

Here's what I ended up typing in a run box to fix the issue (we install XP in a separate directory from 97, hence the \Microsoft Office XP\):

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office XP\Office10\Accwiz.dll"

Hope this helps - if you're still facing the same problem.

Additional thought... the import into Access makes assumptions about data types.. for example, if the other field you are trying to import is a Provider Number, and your existing table has this as a data type of text, then you could get an import error as Access tries to import it as a number.

I had a similar problem with importing from excel. My problem arose from access interpeting the import data as a number and trying to import it a text field.

Had a field called "Item ID", and the data type is "text" in access. But when importing from excel, access interpet the incoming "Item ID" data as numbers and causing import error.

Got around the misinterpeting of the data type by creating a "data definition" row just below the data headings. See attachement

If anyone have a more elegant solution, please let me know