Unanswered: Reports from SQL as PDFs

Hi, we are re-programming our Access 2000 mdb into a Win App with VB 6. The datasource will be on SQL.

We are hoping to be able to have all our reports come out as PDFs. Anyone know any good tools or ways to generate PDFs from SQL Data? The design must still look good. And then there is the problem with all the graph reports. Any good tools for this?

Kind Regards

Jo´

Lightbulb Re: Reports from SQL as PDFs

RE: Hi, we are re-programming our Access 2000 mdb into a Win App with VB 6. The datasource will be on SQL.

We are hoping to be able to have all our reports come out as PDFs. Anyone know any good tools or ways to generate PDFs from SQL Data? The design must still look good. And then there is the problem with all the graph reports. Any good tools for this?

Kind Regards

Jo´
    RE: Re-programming Access 2000 mdb into a Win App with VB 6

Q1 Any ways to generate PDFs from SQL Data? The design must still look good. And then there is the problem with all the graph reports. Any good tools for this?

A1 If you are using VB6 you may wish to consider using the VB report interface (the one very similar to that in Access - NOT Crystal). Create a VB client app that integrates that VB reporting facility with a full Adobe Acrobat install via Acrobat's PDF generation tools e.g. distiller, (Acrobat reader will not generate PDF files) on the client that is to generate reports. As to the "graphs" you need, you might be able to integrate MS Office (and generate reports integrating MS Excel graphs on the same client, also as PDFs if neccessary) to achieve your desired outcome? "Sawadeka".

why pdf

why pdf??

if you were to make these reports as access reports in an Access Data Project-- you could export these as SNP format and everyone would be happy.

and they are smaller and faster than PDF.
    Access 2002 ADP Rocks my World

Long live SQL Server and 64bit Windows!!!

We achieve this with Crystal Reports & an app in VB6 which automatically generates the PDF

SQL 2k > VB app & Cystal > PDF

I'll post some snippets of code if you want to use Crystal

Crystal is the most powerfull Report Writer I know of

Does anyone disagree ??

GW
    "Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
    "Everything should be made as complex as possible, so I look Cleverer." - Application Developer

i disagree

i disagree.

for printing standard report and specifically exporting to Excel and Snapshot formats--- i think that Microsoft Access has a much better reporting engine than the Crystal Reports garbage.

i mean one word for you-- VBA

sure access is a closed system-- but you can automate it with vba.

and once you've installed access; thats all you need to do-- theres no messing with DLLs and Web Viewers and all that other garbage.

all crystal needs to do is to give away a free RPT viewer-- just like Adobe Acrobat.

crystal sux because crystal hasnt had to innovate-- because they are a monopoly.

and i hope that they got bought by msft..
    Access 2002 ADP Rocks my World

Long live SQL Server and 64bit Windows!!!

Analyst

Can I please request you to send me some details what API u have used and how to use it as I want to export Crystal Report to pdf. Thanks for your suggestions. Khalid