Angry Unanswered: Maintenance Plan not doing what it's told!

I've got two maintenance plans set up in SQL 2000. One maintenance plan does a database backup and verification. The other reindexes, shrinks the database and backs up the transaction log.

On both backups, the "Remove files older than" setting is set to 1 day. The database backup performs properly.

When the transaction log backs up, the older backup files are not removed, even though the setting is set to 1 day.

Any ideas as to why the maintenance plan won't remove the older files as it's supposed to? I'm ready to deactivate the maintenance plan and rebuild it from scratch.

Thanks for any help
    Lisa

Re: Maintenance Plan not doing what it's told!

I've got two maintenance plans set up in SQL 2000. One maintenance plan does a database backup and verification. The other reindexes, shrinks the database and backs up the transaction log.

On both backups, the "Remove files older than" setting is set to 1 day. The database backup performs properly.

When the transaction log backs up, the older backup files are not removed, even though the setting is set to 1 day.

Any ideas as to why the maintenance plan won't remove the older files as it's supposed to? I'm ready to deactivate the maintenance plan and rebuild it from scratch.

Thanks for any help
    Lisa
    Q1 Any ideas as to why the maintenance plan won't remove the older files as it's supposed to?
    A1
    i Try using say 20 to 23 hours instead of 1 day; when this strategy works, upon closer scrutiny it is often typically a case of missing the window at execution time (of the maintenence executable)
    when that is the case an old dump may be left over repetedly.
    ii On highly tasked Sql Servers (seemingly, especially ones on which Sql Service has a priority boost) sometimes other processes e.g. (the maint. exe.) get starved of necessary resources and fail. If this is a likely cause you might also consider implementing a corrective job e.g.(one that performs an appropriately constructed scheduled delete prior to a new dump).