Thread: TNS names error

Unanswered: TNS names error

Hello,
    I'm trying to run a Forms 2.5 Report and I get an ORA-12545 error when I click on the application. I checked the TNSnames file to make sure the entries (IP, SID etc..) are correct, and they aappear to be ok. Is anything else that could throw this error? Any thoughts?

Thanks

This error typically occurs when you have an invalid tnsnames.ora alias. I don't know of any other conditions that will trigger this error.

Can you tnsping the desired alias?
    Can you use sqlplus to login via that alias?
    Are you using the same version of the client as sqlplus?
    If you have more than one tnsnames.ora file, do they all have the alias you are looking for?

TNS Error

I cannot log in via SQLl*Plus. however, this same TNSnames file works on other client machines running the application. Go figure?

Also, Is it necessary to re-boot after editing the TNSnames file?

Originally posted by marist89
    This error typically occurs when you have an invalid tnsnames.ora alias. I don't know of any other conditions that will trigger this error.

Can you tnsping the desired alias?
    Can you use sqlplus to login via that alias?Are you using the same version of the client as sqlplus?
    If you have more than one tnsnames.ora file, do they all have the alias you are looking for?

Re: TNS Error

Originally posted by tmalone
    I cannot log in via SQLl*Plus. however, this same TNSnames file works on other client machines running the application. Go figure?
    That's definitely your problem. Once you can login via sqlplus, you will be able to login via other tools as well. If the same tnsnames.ora file works on other clients, I would make sure your hostnaming is correct, you can ping the host, and the proper ports are available to you (ie. ports open through a firewall, if applicable).

Also, Is it necessary to re-boot after editing the TNSnames file?
    No, you don't have to reboot after you edit the tnsnames.ora file.

That's fine, but how do you explain ithe app working on one machine and not on the other. They both have the O/S, the same TNSnames file, and are both running the same application.

I tried the TNSping utility but I still cannot connect.

Lost.

That's definitely your problem. Once you can login via sqlplus, you will be able to login via other tools as well. If the same tnsnames.ora file works on other clients, I would make sure your hostnaming is correct, you can ping the host, and the proper ports are available to you (ie. ports open through a firewall, if applicable).

I assume the the TNSnames file only goes in the C:\ORANT\NETWORK\ADMIN directory?

Originally posted by tmalone
    That's fine, but how do you explain ithe app working on one machine and not on the other. They both have the O/S, the same TNSnames file, and are both running the same application.

I tried the TNSping utility but I still cannot connect.

Lost.
    Can you ping the host?

Yes, I can ping the server. however TNSPing goes nowhere.

I'm wondering if I need to check the path for "C:\ORANT\BIN" ?

Can you ping the host?

Can you ping the host?
    I'm having a similar problem and I can't ping the host. I'm new to Oracle. The tnsnames.ora file works fine on one machine, but not the other.

I'm not even sure that's the problem. How can I find the host to ping?

Thanks!

Originally posted by JennFisher
    I'm not even sure that's the problem. How can I find the host to ping?
    And I can use IP address... just not server name...

Originally posted by JennFisher
    And I can use IP address... just not server name...
    If you can ping the server by ip address but not hostname then you've got an ARP problem. You can either use the ip address in the 'host=' section of the tnsnames alias, or you can list the hostname/ip address in your domain's DNS or you can put the ip address/hostname pair in the local hosts file.

Thumbs up

Make sure you don't have more than one Oracle home on this machine. Check how many tnsnames.ora do you have?

Also check your PATH env variable.

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
    OCP - DBA
    Visit our Web Site