Question Unanswered: can i replicate only a part of the database

I've got a SQL Server 2000 (Personal Edition) with a database where i want replicate a few tables to several ms access 2000 databases.
    The content of SQL Server database and Access databases is equal ( same tables in all databases)
    I tried to make a merge replication (where i select a few tables) on the SQL Server with a couple of push subscribers ( Access databases ).
    The problem now is that SQL Server starts to modify the Access databases and delete all tables which are not in the publication.
    But i still need those other tables on both sides ( SQL Server and Access) but not replicated.

Is there a way to prevent the SQL Server from deleting the tables that are not uses for replication?

Thanks for helping...

Hi!

Yes you can. You only need to define a filter when wou create a NEW publication on one of your tables.

You can even define which fields you want to be published and which ones not.

I suggest you try to define a new publication and select the option "I will define a filter myself..." under the Replication - Create and Manage publications menu option when you are prompted by the Wizard.

Try it out on a test database first! Dont do it outright on the production database.

Success!
    VincentJS
    IT Dept. City Gent

Unhappy not exactly what i needed

Originally posted by VincentJS
    Hi!

Yes you can. You only need to define a filter when wou create a NEW publication on one of your tables.

You can even define which fields you want to be published and which ones not.

I suggest you try to define a new publication and select the option "I will define a filter myself..." under the Replication - Create and Manage publications menu option when you are prompted by the Wizard.

Try it out on a test database first! Dont do it outright on the production database.

Success!
    VincentJS
    IT Dept. City Gent

The problem is not to exclude table fields or any values but prevent the replication process from overwrite, delete or replace any existing table which i have not selected in the publication.

Re: can i replicate only a part of the database

Hi again!

Ok. i must have misunderstood.

The trouble, i think, is in the fact that you are using MERGE replication.
    One of the specificities of mergerepl. is that the database is always built up from scratch again every time records have to be added, deleted etc.

This means effectively that AT LEAST the contents of the database is always completely erased to be refreshed by new data. In effect you might think of the process as a synchronisation.

Maybe the problem would be solved if you used transaction replication or Snapshot replication. I have to confess i've never used these up to now so you might have to try it out.

Remember also that you shouldn't configure (merge) replication as being continuous or for very short periodes (couple of minutes) if the databases are large. If you do that, the previous replication might be interrupted by the next one if it doesn't complete before and that might give some problems with the data. I therefore suggest that you configure mergeing to occur only every 30 minutes or so especially on busy or slow networks. -)

I hope this might help you some-)

Success!
    VincentJS

Originally posted by freeze
    I've got a SQL Server 2000 (Personal Edition) with a database where i want replicate a few tables to several ms access 2000 databases.
    The content of SQL Server database and Access databases is equal ( same tables in all databases)
    I tried to make a merge replication (where i select a few tables) on the SQL Server with a couple of push subscribers ( Access databases ).
    The problem now is that SQL Server starts to modify the Access databases and delete all tables which are not in the publication.
    But i still need those other tables on both sides ( SQL Server and Access) but not replicated.

Is there a way to prevent the SQL Server from deleting the tables that are not uses for replication?

Thanks for helping...

Hi again!

One more thing. check the following page at Microsoft/Technet

Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 164553

It contains a document which you can download (Replic35.exe) and which also explains partial replications (if i read it well-)

Just in case it helps you -)

Success!
    Vincent JS