Newbie question, please help

Sorry but hadnt got a clue where to post this

Just moved to a company whos asked me to modify some code they had produced back in 94, problem ive got is I havrnt a CLUE where to start, all i know so far is theres 2 exe files and a dll file.

The company that produced it has folded so no more info there, im pulling me hair out as im on the choping block over this can anyone recomend how i find what it was written in, how to go about modifying please?

Kind Regards

An Ever Going Grey

Suityou69

Can you recreate the application in a rad environment like vb6 ? I only choose this language since you have to have something fast - what does the application do ? What are the enhancements ? Do you have the code - or only the binary ??? I

Thanks for the quick reply

Ive tried to re create it but theres some key functionality is the source that would be severe to start over with

Its a voteing piece of software, which logs a "For" "Against" or "abstain" vote from 50 keypads, the keypads have there identitys set from dip switches on the back of them

The problem i have is getting the info from the current software which understands and interprits this, i could re create the other aspects as its all very minimal and once all have voted adds the votes in a percentage in the above fields

They want to enhance it by being able (behind the scenes) to find out how each person has voted, so i need the info 1st about who it understands and interprits

Thanks again for your speedy reply

Hope this ammounts to some sense

You may want to elaborate more on the "50 keypads" and how the software communicates with these keypads. Where does the software reside ?

here goes :)

The keypads are all preprogrammed with the same osftware which all in all deterines wich button is pressed as to what its going to register, the software im talking about it what interprits it and effectivly decodes it as all the handsets are looped together and connected straight to the pc

Talking

What is the name of the old company or software maybe someone knows that software and can help.

its called VoteManager and written by BornSoftware

Thanks for your comment but ive got the feeling that this was tailor made for our company, its not an off the shelf product by the looks of things.

My guess is is that it was written in C. Look for a C decompiler and test it out on these files. This is really your last option - other than rewriting the application.