Unanswered: Cannot create a row of size %d which is greater than the allowable maximum of %d

I'm trying to execute an insert with a PreparedStatement object and I am getting the following Error message:

java.sql.SQLException: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot create a row of size 8320 which is greater than the allowable maximum of 8060.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

You're inserting data that is larger than the maximum page size for SQL Server. See this page.

Solution

Originally posted by Mulligan
    You're inserting data that is larger than the maximum page size for SQL Server. See this page.
    Thanks for the link. I had already taken a look there before finding this forum but I couldn't understand why my data was longer than the page size for SQL because I was only inserting a small amount of data.

I found that my problem due to MS SQL creating a temporary table based on my Insert Statement using the table definition for the size of the columns. In this case, I had a nvarchar(4000) column. This then generated a temp table with a column size equivalent to 8363 bytes but the page size is 8060. This happens even though the data I was inserting was much smaller than the max length.

To resolve the problem I had to reduce to the column size to a maximum of 3868. This resolved the problem.

Nice bit of detective work. And thanks for posting back with the solution - it makes a refreshing change from all the "How can I fix problem X?" "Like this." "Bye" postings

Mull.