Unanswered: Informix 7.31 replication advise.

Hi,
    How well does Informix Enterprise Replication work with IDS 7.31?

I need to replicate a database (informix -> informix) where potentially millions of records change every month.

I need a stable replication mechanism capable of handling a very high volume. Hardware is not a major constraint.

I run Informix IDS 7.31 on HP-UX.
    I did hear that the ER is not fully reliable on 7.31 but works fine on IDS 9.x

Are there any third party tools that handle this well? What about OminiReplicator from Praxis? Does it support Informix?
    Is there any other replication mechanism available? I was thinking of using db trigger based MQ queue for asynch replication but I am worried about performance.

Any suggestions will be hugely helpful .....

Regards
    Tellis George

ER works very well on a 7.31 server. At least a lot better than any MS or trigger solution.
    A few new features were introduced since the 9.x version. Currently we are able to replicate all possible data, like spatial data (polygons, ...) all datablade data, even user defined datatypes.
    If you don't use all that, in other words if you have a relational database, ER is great on 7.31.
    Since in 7.31 you are not able to have ORDBMS systems it is a great solution.
    rws

re

You can use informix HDR for replicate instead I think volume changed not over acceptable of informix HDR

HDr is actually a high availability replication mechanisme.
    The principle is that you have a primary server and a secondary.
    The secondary server is in read-only state.
    the two hardware machine must be in the same binary form...(when you can restore a backup from one machine on the second it's ok).
    Why do you want to use replication?
    rws

Unhappy what else can I use

Guys,
    Thanks for all the advise ... I am however still a bit confused about how I approach the above problem. Do I use replication at all or use some sort of drip feed mechanism such as an asynchronous queue based on triggers?

Re: Informix 7.31 replication advise.

I won't recommend you use the ER for your 7.31 machines. As I knew that in Informix, Replication basically mirroring an instance on a different machine. Actually, as long as you setup two instances, with identifcal chunk name and device name, for sure, space vice need to be identicial. You are good to go to setup a Informix replication for two servers. Unless you are thinking about to replicate on the same machine. This is a different story.

If you are repliacting on one machine, you should just using the mirroring chunks. What does it means is mirroring each chunk, if the primary chunk dead, the mirrored one automatically comes up. But if the whole server down, god bless you.

I am using two machines for the replication. There is no need to purchase any additional tools for the replication.

Originally posted by tellisg
    Hi,
    How well does Informix Enterprise Replication work with IDS 7.31?

I need to replicate a database (informix -> informix) where potentially millions of records change every month.

I need a stable replication mechanism capable of handling a very high volume. Hardware is not a major constraint.

I run Informix IDS 7.31 on HP-UX.
    I did hear that the ER is not fully reliable on 7.31 but works fine on IDS 9.x

Are there any third party tools that handle this well? What about OminiReplicator from Praxis? Does it support Informix?
    Is there any other replication mechanism available? I was thinking of using db trigger based MQ queue for asynch replication but I am worried about performance.

Any suggestions will be hugely helpful .....

Regards
    Tellis George

I need help on this topic. I'm using 7.31 and I'm having problems setting up HDR. Basically, the 2 servers cannot connect. What am I doing wrong ?

Primary server : desarrollo
    /etc/hosts
    #
    # Internet host table
    #
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    192.168.1.4 desarrollo loghost
    192.168.1.14 contigencia

/etc/services
    contigencia 1525/tcp
    desarrollo 1526/tcp

$INFORMIXDIR/etc/sqlhosts
    desarrollo_shm onipcshm desarrollo desarrollo_shm
    desarrollo_tcp ontlitcp desarrollo desarrollo_tcp
    contigencia_tcp ontlitcp contigencia contigencia_tcp

Secondary server : contigencia
    /etc/hosts
    #
    # Internet host table
    #
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    192.168.1.14 contigencia contingencia. loghost
    192.168.1.4 desarrollo

/etc/services
    desarrollo 1525/tcp
    contigencia 1526/tcp

$INFORMIXDIR/etc/sqlhosts
    contigencia_shm onipcshm contigencia contigencia_shm
    contigencia_tcp ontlitcp contigencia contigencia_tcp
    desarrollo_tcp ontlitcp desarrollo desarrollo_tcp

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you all

re

Your port delaration for the server of the pair have crossed ,it's wrong configuration to connect together

THANK YOU !!!