Thread: SQL 7 error

Unanswered: SQL 7 error

I have Windows 2000 with SP2 and SQL 7 with SP3 and this morning I checked my SQl server to find the following error message. I am a complete novice with it comes to SQL so any help would really be appreicated. Could not find anything in Microsoft's site.

17050 :
    initerrlog: Could not open error log file 'e:\MSSQL7\log\ERRORLOG'. Operating system error = 1(Incorrect function.).

Does the file exist ? How big is the file ? How much disk space do you have on e ? When was the error generated ? Is the server running ok ? Do you receive this error when you try to open the log ?

Yes Errorlog file does exist and I can open it in Notepad. The size of the file is 4.44kb. I have 33. gig of free Hard drive space. The error was generated on 11/18/02 and the server seems to be running fine.

I did notice that a VDI file was created the ight before this error message occured, not sure if this has anything to do with the error message I posted?

Has anything been logged in the errorlog file since you received that error ?

Has anything been logged in the errorlog file since you received that error ?

I have not seen the same error this morning when checking the App log. Now all I see is is (information wihtthe following information. Not sure what the message means?
    Event ID 17055:
    8128 :
    Using 'xpstar.dll' version '2000.12.12' to execute extended stored procedure 'sp_MSgetversion'.

I think this message message refferes to the backup thast our Veritas Netbackup is scheduled for? This message is also a Information messagein the Appkication log. Not sure if it was worth mentioning? Just thought that I would try ti include as much information as possible.
    Event ID 17055:
    18264 :
    Database backed up with following information: Database: msdb, creation date and time: 2001/06/14(03:50:56), pages dumped: 1059, first LSN: 39:273:2, last LSN: 39:275:1, sort order: 52, striped: 0, number of dump devices: 1, device information: (FILE=1, TYPE=VIRTUAL_DEVICE: {'VNBU0-2308-1876'}).

Have you had any problems ? Has the log been growing or rolled over ? Can you post the errlog that had the original error ?