Unanswered: Calculated fields in views

I'm trying to add two number(7,3) fields to each other in a view. The field works correctly, but is no longer a number(7,3). Oracle makes this field just a number field. I need to force the format of the view to be number(7,3).

Any ideas?

Provided Answers: 1

Re: Calculated fields in views

Originally posted by bdmingus
    I'm trying to add two number(7,3) fields to each other in a view. The field works correctly, but is no longer a number(7,3). Oracle makes this field just a number field. I need to force the format of the view to be number(7,3).

Any ideas?
    I don't believe it is possible, but then I don't believe it is necessary either. Why do you think you need to force the scale and precision values?

If you COULD do it, and the two NUMBER(7,3) columns being added together contained 5678.123 and 6789.123, then the result (12467.246) would overflow the precision anyway.

Two Number(7,3)

I'm trying to do it because ArcMap software truncates the decimal places on a calculated field. I need to force three decimal places. The number will never be outside the boundaries of 7,3. So, any ideas?

Provided Answers: 1

Re: Two Number(7,3)

Originally posted by bdmingus
    I'm trying to do it because ArcMap software truncates the decimal places on a calculated field. I need to force three decimal places. The number will never be outside the boundaries of 7,3. So, any ideas?
    No - what is ArcMap? And does it look up the view's column definition in the data dictionary to decide how to display it?

did you try CAST(expression AS NUMBER(7,3)

rudy

CAST

Yep. I thought it would work, but it didn't. When I describe the view after casting it still shows the field as number with no precision or scale.

CAST inside the view doesn't work?

whoa, sounds like you need to re-install oracle

(just kidding)