Angry Unanswered: Shrink db in MSSQL6.5

Hi,

For the euro-unit conversion I had to expand my db LOG (5GB) with 40GB (2*20GB) LOG. The data of the db itself is 25GB on a 30GB device. This means that I actually need 75GB!!! of space. When I try to shrink the db it says that the minimum size is still 56GB. What is the best way to shrink my db ?

Txs a lot,

Stef

Re: Shrink db in MSSQL6.5

Hi, For the euro-unit conversion I had to expand my db LOG (5GB) with 40GB (2*20GB) LOG. The data of the db itself is 25GB on a 30GB device. This means that I actually need 75GB!!! of space. When I try to shrink the db it says that the minimum size is still 56GB.

Q1 What is the best way to shrink my db ? Txs a lot, Stef
    A1 I previously used a third party tool, (it subsequently became some sub-division of CA), to accomplish that sort of thing (among other tedious 6.x tasks). Otherwise one may create a new DB that is more appropriatley sized, transfer the data to it, and finally switch production to using the new smaller DB.

Can you tell me what 3rd party tool it was?
    Tranferring the data is not an option because there are 65 servers subscribed to the db.

Txs anyway!

RE:
    Q1 Can you tell me what 3rd party tool it was?
    Tranferring the data is not an option because there are 65 servers subscribed to the db. Txs anyway!
    A1 The 3rd party tool was one of the Platinum DBA utilities (ver. 2.5 ?); The license I had used was purchased prior to Platinum being bought by CA (after the CA purchase things changed quite a bit from my perspective). See: http://support.ca.com/techbases/ente...dba-23004.html

If I were you, I might try to get someone at CA to confirm that the current product version still supports MS Sql Server 6.x (at least some of the Platinum people left after the CA purchase, so the currently shipping product's feature set may be quite different by now).

I would ask CA for a fully functional demo version (to verify features on a test install prior to purchasing a license). CA may have improved their support by now, but it is possible that testing the current product on a dev box will be the only way to find out if their current product supports the features you require on 6.x installs or not).