Unanswered: problem makin report in VBA

Hi everyone

I have to make a report based on different year. This report as animal names as column headings. and then City's by Row heading.

I have a table called Animal. its got cities and animal names and dates.

I have everything working. It makes the report depending on what year the user want the report based on. With all the animal names at the top as collum headings. and cities and Row heading.

But some of the animal names are too big. So I made a query in which it would take the first three letters of the animal (for example TIGER AS TIG) and then colon and then the full name (it woud look something like that (TIG: TIGER).So What I did is I took the first 3 letters of the animal names and put it at the top of the Report( for example if the animal name is "TIGER" i took "TIG") . and right at the bottom of the report I put abbreviations as the whole name (for example TIG: TIGER). To explain the user wat those three letter means. This way everything would fit on one page.

Know the problem is that lets say the animal name is SNAKE so it would take SNA but again there's an animal and its name is SNAIL so it would take SNA again. and at the top of the report in the column heading i would see two "SNA"s. I dont want that. Do you guys have any ideas how to fix this problem?
    Deep

Re: problem makin report in VBA

Below is a solution using a temp table method to hold and check abbreviation before using them

Originally posted by Programmer
    Hi everyone

I have to make a report based on different year. This report as animal names as column headings. and then City's by Row heading.

I have a table called Animal. its got cities and animal names and dates.

I have everything working. It makes the report depending on what year the user want the report based on. With all the animal names at the top as collum headings. and cities and Row heading.

But some of the animal names are too big. So I made a query in which it would take the first three letters of the animal (for example TIGER AS TIG) and then colon and then the full name (it woud look something like that (TIG: TIGER).So What I did is I took the first 3 letters of the animal names and put it at the top of the Report( for example if the animal name is "TIGER" i took "TIG") . and right at the bottom of the report I put abbreviations as the whole name (for example TIG: TIGER). To explain the user wat those three letter means. This way everything would fit on one page.

Know the problem is that lets say the animal name is SNAKE so it would take SNA but again there's an animal and its name is SNAIL so it would take SNA again. and at the top of the report in the column heading i would see two "SNA"s. I dont want that. Do you guys have any ideas how to fix this problem?
    Attached Files Attached Files