Unanswered: Oninit question on win2k..

Sorry I have to install IDS on win2k.. Also Im new to the Informix world.

Installed on w2k server, Informix verstion 9.21.tc7-1

I could not get my server initialized after the initial install of informix. That problem turned out to be related to me installing it through Terminal Services. Found the answer to that one on this forum.

Now I can install the server software, initialize the server automatically at the end of the install script. The server is up and running which is great.. However when I down the server with an onmode ky and then try to bring the server up with an onitit or oninit v or oninit s oninit -ivk it never finishes . The log files indicates that it completed successfully but the oninit command never returns a command prompt. I have to hit ctrl-c to terminate it.

If I do and onstat command (after Ive terminated the oninit) sometimes it says the server is online sometimes not. The service never restarts in services.

Strangely , I can start the Informix server instance in services and everything appears to run fine. The command prompt oninit commands just dont seem to want to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

re

I think it migh be your env. parameters have worng value ,
    You can set to auto start it as windows service , you can bring command to registry key or set the service in Control Panel

Thumbs up Apparently this is not a bug but a feature

As near as I can tell with 9.21 after you run a oninit it will run the sever process and not return a command prompt(in w2k anyway). It just continues to run. If I do a ctrl-c to terminate the program the server process terminates. (makes sense I guess)

I can open another server instance, do an onstat and it tells me its online. All the logs indicate that its in online mode a running fine.

Also from the second instance I can issue a onmode yuk and it brings down the server successfully and terminates the other running process where I originated the oninit program.

Does this sound reasonable to you guys?

Wink

instead of oninit use following command to bring the server up

starts <ServerName>

wicky

I remmember my informix help desk telling me not to start the informix from the command line only from services.

I do recommend to install ISA and use the mode to restart the informix server.

Wonder why you need to restart the informix from the command line.

Dafna

thanx, so far i don't face any problem would u like to eleborate more the disadvantages to start server from command line?

Originally posted by thedafna
    I remmember my informix help desk telling me not to start the informix from the command line only from services.

I do recommend to install ISA and use the mode to restart the informix server.

Wonder why you need to restart the informix from the command line.

Dafna

Just a remark some one mentioned once.

Unhappy

Now I need it myself, I wrote a script that changes an onconfig value, but I need to turn the server off (onmode -yk) and on (???)

I found in the release notes of win2k informix:

M. Starting Database Server on Windows NT

In various instances within the manual, the method to start the
    database server on Windows NT is not accurate. Do not use the oninit
    command to start the database server on Windows NT. Instead, use IECC
    or the Windows NT Services tool.To start the database with the Services
    tool, select the database server service and click Start.

Did you solve this?
    Dafna