Question Unanswered: Urgent - Production problem

Hi All -
    I need your help in solving this issue.

We have a critical DB2 UDB 7.2 PRODUCTION (with minimum or NO downtime) database running on AIX / Windows. We found that there is a problem with a Tablespace container. Whats the step-by-step process to add a new container without bringing the production down?

I appreciate your help
    Thanks in advance
    Laca

Provided that this is a DMS tablespace, you can add additional container to the tablespace.

Firstly, you have to create a new logical volume and change the owner of the device to the instance owner.

Then, use ALTER TABLESPACE command to add a new container, here is an example :

ALTER TABLESPACE PAYROLL
    ADD (DEVICE '/dev/rhdisk9' 10000)

When you add a new container, the data in the tablespace will be redistributed to the newly created container.

This process does not require you to shut down the db2 instance.

However, please be reminded that adding a new container will not solve the problem on the existing problematic container.

Re: Urgent - Production problem

Can you let the forum know what the problem with the tablespace container is ?

Cheers

Sathyaram

Originally posted by dbtwodba
    Hi All -
    I need your help in solving this issue.

We have a critical DB2 UDB 7.2 PRODUCTION (with minimum or NO downtime) database running on AIX / Windows. We found that there is a problem with a Tablespace container. Whats the step-by-step process to add a new container without bringing the production down?

I appreciate your help
    Thanks in advance
    Laca