Question Unanswered: Linking to FoxPro Table/Indexes

I am using MS Access 2002 with full Updates/Patches. I have updated the MDAC and Jet. I have also updated the Visual FoxPro Driver. Now, when I link to the FoxPro(*.dbf not *.dbc) database using the machine DSN setup including the updated FoxPro driver I do not get the ability to link the index (*.cdx) files. When I attempt the update various fields in the tables it allows me but not from within the queries that I attempt to set.

I am asking two seperate questions. Number one is, are the index (*.cdx) files automatically linked with the new FoxPro driver? Number two, is there a way to get the linked tables to sort and update through queries?

Re: Linking to FoxPro Table/Indexes

Have you found a solution yet?? I am having the exact same problem, I think.

When I try to link my dbf (FoxPro 2.6 table) it asks me for the index, yet will not let me choose my cdx.

JoelW

Originally posted by Nezmin2
    I am using MS Access 2002 with full Updates/Patches. I have updated the MDAC and Jet. I have also updated the Visual FoxPro Driver. Now, when I link to the FoxPro(*.dbf not *.dbc) database using the machine DSN setup including the updated FoxPro driver I do not get the ability to link the index (*.cdx) files. When I attempt the update various fields in the tables it allows me but not from within the queries that I attempt to set.

I am asking two seperate questions. Number one is, are the index (*.cdx) files automatically linked with the new FoxPro driver? Number two, is there a way to get the linked tables to sort and update through queries?

Re: Linking to FoxPro Table/Indexes

I was able to successfully link to the tables by using a system dsn with the latest visual foxpro driver. It automatically links the index files to.

Originally posted by JoelW
    Have you found a solution yet?? I am having the exact same problem, I think.

When I try to link my dbf (FoxPro 2.6 table) it asks me for the index, yet will not let me choose my cdx.

JoelW

Thanks. I was able to link the tables. But now my Append queries don't work right. And my Delete queries don't work at all.

Append Query: Doesn't update certain fields. It DOES update some of them.

Delete Query: I receive the following error....."Could not delete from specified tables." (The database file is not ReadOnly, and I have full permissions.)

This all worked fine in Access 97.

Any ideas?

I also found the same issues. I am still trying to resolve this problem.

Originally posted by JoelW
    Thanks. I was able to link the tables. But now my Append queries don't work right. And my Delete queries don't work at all.

Append Query: Doesn't update certain fields. It DOES update some of them.

Delete Query: I receive the following error....."Could not delete from specified tables." (The database file is not ReadOnly, and I have full permissions.)

This all worked fine in Access 97.

Any ideas?

Okay, I apprecitate your help. I'll see what I can find out as well. If I hear something, I will reply back to this post.

You guys seem to be having exactly the problems I am now having. I've spent weeks on this, and am at the stage of getting all my gear and throwing it ouut of the b window!!.

I am reading Foxpro 2.6 tables through MS Access 2002 on an XP machine with MDAC 2.7. I've tried the options in the machine DNS set up (ie: not ticking "Null" option, and "delete" etc.). Everything works in Access 97 on a windows 2000 machine.

sometimes I can read the tables, but the append queries only bring in 20% of the data, and sometimes it just locks up the tables, and completely screws up other user's access to the Foxpro tables (which isn't great as this is our Accounts and order processing system!!).

It has been a long time since I had that problem, but let me see if I can recall our fix. Everything works fine for us these days. When importing or linking FoxPro tables, we choose "Files of Type": dBASE 5

See the following Microsoft article: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;290867

I BELIEVE our fix was this:

1) Installed the latest service pack for the Microsoft Jet 4.0 Database Engine
    See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=239114#2

2) Installed Borland (BDE)....FYI - we currently have verson 3.5 installed
    See http://info.borland.com/devsupport/bde/bdeupdate.html

FWIW, We also ran into trouble while trying to work with any FoxPro tables that had memo files associated with them. I'm pretty sure it was the BDE install that fixed that problem, too.

Hope this was of some help.

Joel