Thread: Ms Acess97

Question Unanswered: Ms Acess97-Save info from calculated field.

I am new to programing and I am self taught. I'm working on an inventory database. I want to save information from calculated fields on a form to a table. How?
    Last edited by groce185; 11-22-02 at 11:06.

Calculated fields not needed to be stored.

Any time, when you refer the records in forms, OR in query, you can make calculation field and use it.

But if you want to save calculated information still. then you may add 1 Or required fields in Main table, which you use for source fields of calculation.

In Ms ACCESS, you can modify table structure and add field.

you can create a variable and set it = the value of the caluclated text box, then using a sql update step update the info into a table.
    hth
    Jim

Originally posted by JDionne
    you can create a variable and set it = the value of the caluclated text box, then using a sql update step update the info into a table.
    hth
    Jim
    I thank you for your responce. The varible you speak of, where do I create it? And SQL update step? A macro?

How is your form set up?
    Do you have to click on a button to get the data to populate the form, and the caluclated text boxes or do they automatiacly populate when the form opens?

because you can do it in a few diff ways. The esiest thing to do would be to make an update query to the table and put the formula in the query. when the form loads you can put in the code
    docmd.openquery "query_Name" and it will run that query and make the updates.

If you hae to push a button to make the form populate then you can put the same bit of code in the on click action of the button.

Let me know how you are working your form and maybe I can help a bit more
    Jim

How is your form set up?
    Do you have to click on a button to get the data to populate the form, and the caluclated text boxes or do they automatiacly populate when the form opens?

because you can do it in a few diff ways. The esiest thing to do would be to make an update query to the table and put the formula in the query. when the form loads you can put in the code
    docmd.openquery "query_Name" and it will run that query and make the updates.

If you hae to push a button to make the form populate then you can put the same bit of code in the on click action of the button.

Let me know how you are working your form and maybe I can help a bit more
    Jim
    The form populates when opened. It pulls information from 2 hidden forms and a query. The fields with the calcutions are daily totals that I need saved for a month-to date total also shown on the form. If it would help I can send you the file. It's still under a meg.

Bob

do you do any filtering or let the end user do put in any criteria or does it always display the same thing every day? is is basicaly something that you go into every day to capture the information?

If that is the case then you can have a marcro run a set of update querys on open to do that for you.

imbed a zipped coppy with your next post

Jim

do you do any filtering or let the end user do put in any criteria or does it always display the same thing every day? is is basicaly something that you go into every day to capture the information?

If that is the case then you can have a marcro run a set of update querys on open to do that for you.

imbed a zipped coppy with your next post

Jim
    I have been playing with all kinds of ideas. This was originallydone in Lotus and only 7 days were saved. I used forms instead of reports to get them to display what I wanted so far. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Bob
    Attached Files Attached Files

Which form has the calculated fields?
    Jim

and which table needs the data stored into them?
    Jim

and which table needs the data stored into them?
    Jim
    Attached Files Attached Files

Im an office shop i cant open your file

Im an office shop i cant open your file
    Excel will open the file only some of the macros won't work.

Bob

Ok got the file open, looks like a prety involved report. So im guessing that you need a calculated value input into a table so that you can use it on this report. Let me know on which form the field is on and what table it needs to be in and we can go from there
    Jim