Post Unanswered: Recover data problem with a normal user

Hello:

Please i need help. I am using the Microsoft oledb provider to connec to one database in a DB2 server from a VB client application . I connect with this connection string:

ocon.Open "Provider=DB2OLEDB;Password=db2user;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=db2user;Initial Catalog=posystem;Data Source=Server1;Network Transport Library=TCPIP;Network Address=192.168.0.15;Network Port=50000;Package Collection=nullid;Default Schema=db2admin"

The database POSystem in the DB2 server is created by the user "db2admin" and in the "db2admin" schema and the "db2user" user has the privileges "read only" in this database; but when I try to send this SQL statement:
    "Select * from Orders", I can not obtain a result , any data is returned to me. And then, when I send the sql statement "Select * from db2admin.orders" or when I connecto to the database with the user "db2admin"(the owner user), I obtain data.

This means that ever I have to put in my sql statement the name of the owner user ? or I have to connect with the login of the owner user to obtain data?
    I have to change something? or what I have to do to obtain data connectint with other user different to the owner and without use the login name in the sql statement?

Thanks for the help

Re: Recover data problem with a normal user

When you connect to database and wants to use tables created by another user you have to prefix them by the owner's name as:

table_owner. table_name

In common situation you would want to create synonyms/alias's in your own schema. Ask the DBA to do that. Below is an example of creating a synonym/alias:

CREATE ALIAS employee FOR MIKE.employee;

From this point on you can just make a direct call to employee table rather than prefixing it with owner name.

Hope this helps!!!

Paul

Originally posted by Elicita
    Hello:

Please i need help. I am using the Microsoft oledb provider to connec to one database in a DB2 server from a VB client application . I connect with this connection string:

ocon.Open "Provider=DB2OLEDB;Password=db2user;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=db2user;Initial Catalog=posystem;Data Source=Server1;Network Transport Library=TCPIP;Network Address=192.168.0.15;Network Port=50000;Package Collection=nullid;Default Schema=db2admin"

The database POSystem in the DB2 server is created by the user "db2admin" and in the "db2admin" schema and the "db2user" user has the privileges "read only" in this database; but when I try to send this SQL statement:
    "Select * from Orders", I can not obtain a result , any data is returned to me. And then, when I send the sql statement "Select * from db2admin.orders" or when I connecto to the database with the user "db2admin"(the owner user), I obtain data.

This means that ever I have to put in my sql statement the name of the owner user ? or I have to connect with the login of the owner user to obtain data?
    I have to change something? or what I have to do to obtain data connectint with other user different to the owner and without use the login name in the sql statement?

Thanks for the help

try set schema

before issuing any select, execute SET SCHEMA=DB2ADMIN

HTH,
    Oliver

Re: try set schema

Originally posted by oliver
    before issuing any select, execute SET SCHEMA=DB2ADMIN

HTH,
    Oliver
    Hello Oliver:

Thanks for your help about this topic. I implement your solution with this sentences in my vb code:

ocon.execute "set schema = db2admin"
    ocon.execute strsql

where the strsql is my select , and this works.
    Now I have a new question ......... please!, I want to execute those two sentences in one, that means:
    ocon.execute strsql

where strsql has the two sentences (the "set" and the "select"), but I need to know the syntax that I need to use to execute a compound sql (please take account that I execute this code from vb).

I will appreciate very much your help
    Thanks a lot

Regards,
    Elizabeth

sorry I am not a VB programmer.

but in Java, the equivalent command would be the Batch Statement command, where you can have more than one commands in a statement and execute them in one batch... I suppose there is an equivalent command in VB.

Let's see what other members suggest.
    Oliver

Red face Is not a VB Question, is related to DB2 SQL syntax

Originally posted by oliver
    but in Java, the equivalent command would be the Batch Statement command, where you can have more than one commands in a statement and execute them in one batch... I suppose there is an equivalent command in VB.

Let's see what other members suggest.
    Oliver
    Hello other time:

I think that my question was formulated in wrong way. The question is in DB2 there are a way to execute two sql statements in one time? for example in SQL Server we can write

Set ansi_nulls on
    go
    Select * from customers

In DB2 how can I do that?
    Thanks a lot

Haarlem

As with SQL server but terminate each individual statement with a semi-colon rather than the string "go".