Question Unanswered: Problem exchanging data..

Hi All,

I have a small problem with a database of mine (strange he.. :-))
    first let me explain the principle of the database: it contains reports about delivered products that havent been approved for production (=SCAR). These reports are partially filled in by our people, then entered in the database. Now there is also a part that the supplier or manufacturer has to fill in on the form ... but i want to exchange this data digitally, not manually. How can i easely do this with access. I have to be able to export a changeble file in access, wich is send to the manufacturer, they complete this file and send it back to us. then i want to import this file and update the data...

Does annyone know an easy way to do this (or an hard way, but user-friendly)...

THX

Davy

Hi Davy,

I'd establish a small file containing the eMail address and a "stock" letter. Then export the minimum data required into a file. Attach it to the eMail and send. You should be able to set up a script to handle the export, attach and send.

Bringing the data back is much harder. Virus checking and security are major concerns. Don't ignore them(Pardon the rant)!

Once the eMail is returned to the user. They could detach the datafile from the eMail and put it in a "standard location". You will need a small program to backup the database, process the data, verify the accuracy, display any errors(key not found, incomplete, duplicate, etc.) and give the user the option to "commit or ignore" the file.

This sounds like a hassle...and it is...but it will save you a lot of recovery time.

Good Luck,
    Bruce Baasch

Thumbs up

Thx,

Do you know anny databases on the web with an example like this??? Exporting to an external file is not such a big problem, but formating it so that the enduser can only modify the data, thats the problem. If i want to export it to word, can i hook it up to a template???? and/or work with fields and lock the rest of the document???

D

Hi Davy,

We use Excel for most of ours. It's not elegant, but it's easy for the user.

Good Luck,
    Bruce Baasch