Unanswered: secure SQL on second NIC

I've got two NIC's in my 2000 server, with SQL 2k.
    I would like to deny access on the external NIC connected to the internet. The replication is going through FTP.
    How do I deny access to SQL (eg. with enterprise manager) from the internet and permit access through ftp.

so, how do I turn of sql on my second nic?

Question Re: secure SQL on second NIC

RE:
    I've got two NIC's in my 2000 server, with SQL 2k.
    I would like to deny access on the external NIC connected to the internet. The replication is going through FTP.
    How do I deny access to SQL (eg. with enterprise manager) from the internet and permit access through ftp.

so, how do I turn of sql on my second nic?
    You can of course disable the NIC; but it sounds like you are asking about only blocking the ports the Sql Server instance(s) use on the external NIC??? If so, you can block ports at several points and levels (OS, firewall, gateway, router, proxy, maybe even on the NIC drivers, etc.).

Re: secure SQL on second NIC

Incidentally, FTP in and of itself is not particularly secure e.g.(a secured VPN would offer more security).

If ftp is the only outside service that is needed for this machine - I would move it to another machine and shut down every service except ftp and put it outside of your firewall. This machine can be a very simple and inexpensive machine. But if you must, then shut down tpc 1433 (the default port for sql server) and udp 1434.

To disable the tcp/udp ports for that device you can use tcp filtering. Go to your network settings for tcp and go to advanced - option - properties.

Here is an article that steps you through it:

article

Thank you'all for the quick responce. I'll try the solutions and tell what will become.
    Last edited by MIPSQL; 11-28-02 at 06:49.