Design Help Needed

I am not good in db design, need your help.
    I am designing a database for a school consisting of many tables e.g table for student profile, result for each yr, each subject and etc.
    There may be no problem at the moment but as year past the database will definitely grow. I am thinking of backing up and delete the records for student that graduated. But I still want my application to be able to query the student that graduated.
    I am confused on how to go about it as it may involve many tables and records.

Hope someone can help. Thanks.

Re: Design Help Needed

Originally posted by lineh
    I am designing a database for a school consisting of many tables e.g table for student profile, result for each yr, each subject and etc.
    There may be no problem at the moment but as year past the database will definitely grow. I am thinking of backing up and delete the records for student that graduated. But I still want my application to be able to query the student that graduated.

If you need to be able to query the students, you need to keep their records in the tables - either in full, or in summary form.

You may want an archive process that takes students who graduated more than x years ago, copies the necessary level of detail about them to archive tables, and deletes the details from the main tables. That would mean that users might have to look in 2 places to find the information they seek.

Table partitioning could help manage this process - e.g. create a new partition for each school year. You can then take old partitions "off line" as required, and move them into separate tables.

This is a complex area, and if you are not skilled in database design then you should really get some input from someone who is (I mean, on-site input, not hints and tips from distant folk like me).

Re: Design Help Needed

Originally posted by lineh

Don't do it. First off, students might want their transcript to give to employers or graduate schools as long as 10 years after graduation. Second, if you keep your design relatively straightforward, you can add the archiving functionality in later. Third, you'll probably never need to add the archiving functionality. Disk space is ridiculously cheap, and keeps getting cheaper.