Unanswered: Storing Image Links in DB - - is it dynamic?

I know people have posted about similar topics before but I have one small q...

I am designing a database on which you can search for (using ASP)/download/upload txt files, sound files & pictures..

It is clear that if you are storing even a moderate amount of sound files/pics you're better off storing a link to the file in the DB & actually store it elsewhere...im ok with that

BUT

if i store a link to them (ie. to a spot on a server) is it possible for my web page to be dynamic??

ie. if someone uploads an image will it be there straight away for another person to download it...???

also is it possible to search for these files by name (ie. by band name in my case) if they are not actually stored in the DB?

Any input would be greatly appreciated..

Philby

does anyone have any idea about my question above??

The ability for it to be dynamic & for you to be able to search for sound files/image files of specific bands is integral to my project...

Thanks,
    Phil

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Provided Answers: 1
    Originally posted by Philby_Walsh
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Well, this is out of my normal field so I'm hesitant to respond. but since no one else has come forward yet...

I would expect your database to hold all the necessary information for searching for files. e.g.

Table FILE
    ( file_name
    , file_type /* sound, picture etc. */
    , band_name
    , description
    , size
    , etc. /* any other information useful for searching */
    , link to external file
    );

So the user will search the database for the FILEs they are interested in, and when they select one your app will use the link to get the external file to upload.

Does that sound reasonable?

Smile

Your application can store both the URL to the uploaded file as well as the name, author, type, size, etc. in Oracle table. As soon as your user click Submit button, you upload the file, commit the transaction and then the rest of the users can see it when they query this table.

Once the data is in the db, you can slice and dice the data the way you like it: WHERE tittle LIKE upper('%yellow') , author LIKE upper('metallica'), etc.

Hope that helps,

clio_usa
    OCP - DBA