Unanswered: Linux Mandrake 9.0 Allow MySQL Remote connect

I installed Mandrake 9.0, including php/ mysql / apache.
    Problem: I cannot connect to the mysql database remotely.
    The only way to connect is through the machine where MySQL is installed.
    Things I did:
    - forwarded port 3306 on the router to the local machine with mysql installed;
    - through a terminal I requested the status of skipnetworking with the command mysql variables, skip networking is off.;
    - also I have made a user with all priviliges who may connect from any host %.

I see that MySQL default uses a socket connection. Should this be tcp/ip? If yes, how can I change this?
    Or is the cause of the problem something else?

This is driving me nuts for 1 month now.... Arrh
    Roy

Re: Linux Mandrake 9.0 Allow MySQL Remote connect

When you say you can't connect remotely do you mean through a php script or something else? Have you given anyone rights to access the mysql database through a grant statement? Also have you checked in your services file to see if the port you want to send out is in there? services is under /etc/ how did you install mysql, rpm or tar.gz?

Originally posted by toro
    I installed Mandrake 9.0, including php/ mysql / apache.
    Problem: I cannot connect to the mysql database remotely.
    The only way to connect is through the machine where MySQL is installed.
    Things I did:
    - forwarded port 3306 on the router to the local machine with mysql installed;
    - through a terminal I requested the status of skipnetworking with the command mysql variables, skip networking is off.;
    - also I have made a user with all priviliges who may connect from any host %.

I see that MySQL default uses a socket connection. Should this be tcp/ip? If yes, how can I change this?
    Or is the cause of the problem something else?

This is driving me nuts for 1 month now.... Arrh
    Roy

What do I mean by connect localy?
    My apache webserver and php is on the same machine as mysql.
    From this machine I can run php programs to connect to mysql, such as phpmyadmin. Also I have installed Mascon (mysql front end) on that machine. Both can connect to mysql databases.

As soon as I install for example Mascon on another machine on the local network and wan't to connect to the MySQL database server this doesn't work. Also I can't connect over the internet to the MySQL database server directly.

So the only way to connect is through the machine where mysql is installed. But I need to connect through other interfaces from other machines.

Roy

I don't know much about mandrake but does it have any kind of firewall stuff going on? Redhat has some stuff you can setup which basically says you can't use such and such port remotely but can access it from the machine locally. Also, are you rejecting certain requests on certain ports via eth0 (redhat talk again)

What do I mean by connect localy?
    My apache webserver and php is on the same machine as mysql.
    From this machine I can run php programs to connect to mysql, such as phpmyadmin. Also I have installed Mascon (mysql front end) on that machine. Both can connect to mysql databases.

As soon as I install for example Mascon on another machine on the local network and wan't to connect to the MySQL database server this doesn't work. Also I can't connect over the internet to the MySQL database server directly.

So the only way to connect is through the machine where mysql is installed. But I need to connect through other interfaces from other machines.

Roy

No, I don't have a firewall installed on the machine.

<----- is stumped

What does Mascon give you when you try and connect to the mysql server? Does it just timeout or what? Have you tried to userp the router by just connecting another computer to your mysql server via crossover cable? Just doesn't make sense that you'd be able to connect to it locally but not remotely. I think you have a router problem. Does your router have something in it that blocks certain ports?
    No, I don't have a firewall installed on the machine.

Yea but what was the effect if you connect just one computer to the other via crossover cable? is root a username on mysql? Sounds like it's rejecting root...just a thought.

I will try with cross over. I don't think the root user is rejected. I added the following user to myql %@%, so it allows any user from any domain. Just for testing purpose of course!

Roy