Unanswered: continous logical-log

Hello All,

I have a big problem with backing up logical logs. The problem is that they do not backup automatically when they fill up. If I issue the onbat -b -l, they are backed up. But I need them to back up automatically.

The log_backup_mode is set ot CONT and the parameter ltapedev is set to \\.\tape0 in the onconfig file. So the required settings are set correctly. It seems that there is a problem with the communication between on-bar and ISM.

I would really appreciate if anybody know how to fix this problem.

I am using NT4.0 SP6, IDS 7.3 TC7 and ISM1.0.

Looking forward to your reply,
    Marko Erzen
    Marko Erzen

Re: continous logical-log

hope it will resolve your problem execute following command

ontape -c

wicky

Originally posted by marko111
    Hello All,

I have a big problem with backing up logical logs. The problem is that they do not backup automatically when they fill up. If I issue the onbat -b -l, they are backed up. But I need them to back up automatically.

The log_backup_mode is set ot CONT and the parameter ltapedev is set to \\.\tape0 in the onconfig file. So the required settings are set correctly. It seems that there is a problem with the communication between on-bar and ISM.

I would really appreciate if anybody know how to fix this problem.

I am using NT4.0 SP6, IDS 7.3 TC7 and ISM1.0.

Looking forward to your reply,
    Marko Erzen

Dear Mr. Wicky,

I have tryaed this, too. But I am using On-bar so this solution is not good, because there is need for user intervention if server is restarted. Beside it is not working prophertly.

Thanks for your answer anyway,
    Marko
    Marko Erzen

Hi
    There is a batch script in %informixdir%\etc named log_full.bat
    I added the following lines:

if not %2 == 23 goto DONE
    onbar -l
    goto DONE

and at the bottom
    ONE

You also need to make sure that in onconfig you have the alarm program points to log_full.bat

Some times this onbar -l returns error 152 which is a backup already running, but it is OK since the logs are backed up currectly

Hope I helped
    Dafna

Hello!

Thank you for your reply.

I have solved the mistery.

We have developed the software, which take care for backups. It is a simple program, which mount/label storege devices according to the settings in ini file. Therefore I had to modify the onbar.bat file as follows:

call f:\informix\ol_server.cmd
    onmode -c
    onstat -d > c:\informix\onstatd.txt

The testings have been performed on 9.3 IDS and W2000. But when I performed the installation on the IDS 7.3, it just did not work. The problem was in onstat -d ... line. But I do not see any reason why it fails to perform continous logical logs, because the onbar -b -l command works just fine.

The solution is: do not use the onstat -d command, use oncfh file in case of a server crash.
    Marko Erzen

Hi

1) Did you have c:\informix directory?
    2) Can you please explain how this effected the continues logs backup? and not the other backups.
    3) That is: Do you perform continues logs backup without the change in the logs_full script I sent you?

Thanks
    Dafna

Hello!

I do have c:\informix dir.
    The effect was that the automatic backup just did not work on 7.3 IDS. The same commands work just fine on IDS 9.3. This is tested on several instalations. And, I did not modify the logs_full script.
    Marko Erzen

Sorry for bothering, but I try to understand -
    On IDS 7.30 without your additional commands the continuos logs backup worked just fine.
    There was a problem with the onbar -d > Somefile , which coused the logs backup to stack, but the full backup was just fine. and when you got this information from some where else: oncfh file (how you create this file?) the logs backup is also OK?

Can you please explain more?
    I'm trying to understand if I did redundent things.
    Thanks a lot.

Dafna

If your server crashes ie disk failure or something like that, you need the ixbar.0 file, and you also need to create the exact chunck structure as it was before the crash. The chunk structure is written to file using the onstat -d > file command. This information is also recorded in oncfg file by informix itself, so this file is only for redundance.

My problem was that the full logical log did not back up automatically, so the IDS suspend the database operations, when they filled up. If I executed the onbar -b -l, the logical logs were backed up normaly. Also if I execute the onbar -b -w commnad, the full backup were performed normal.
    The main problem was the automatic backup of logical logs, which didi not work correctly.
    Marko Erzen

I've been in the same situation: the backup worked fine, single logs backup worked fine, but I couldn't automate the process. Changing the onconfig to CONT did nothing.
    That is why I changed the log_full script. Since you told me you did not changed the script I'm trying to understand how you automated the logs backup.
    Thanks again
    Dafna

Please, check the instalation procedure of ISM. You can find the manual at http://www-3.ibm.com/software/data/i.../pubs/library/

After changing parameter to CONT, you must restart the server. Then, check the environment variables ie ISMDIR, path. The setails about installation is in manual.

Hope that help,
    Marko
    Marko Erzen