Thread: Help please

Question Unanswered: Help please

Can anyone check my syntax please, i am trying to converts Oracle script to SQL server:-
    oracle
    select TO_DATE('12/15/1970','MM/DD/YYYY')+(DS_PENDING_JOB.END_DATETIME/86400)from DS_PENDING_JOB

while converting to SQL Server:
    select convert(date(10),'12/15/1970','mm/dd/yy')+(DS_PENDING_JOB.END_DATETIME/86400)from DS_PENDING_JOB

getting this error:

Server: Msg 8116, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
    Argument data type varchar is invalid for argument 3 of convert function.

Were you trying to do the following:

select convert(datetime,'12/15/1970',101)

Exclamation Re: Help please

Q1 Can anyone check my syntax please, i am trying to converts Oracle select convert(date(10),'12/15/1970','mm/dd/yy')+(DS_PENDING_JOB.END_DATETIME/86400)from DS_PENDING_JOB
    A1 You may wish to consider first converting your data to datetimes, then performing datetime calculations. Some issues with convert (DataType, 'Argument', Style) are as follows:

i There is no DataType designated: "date(10)" note: length may only be specified for nchar, nvarchar, char, varchar, binary, or varbinary convert statements.

ii There is no datetime / smalldatetime Style designation: 'mm/dd/yy'
    They are designated as integers: 0,1,2,3,4, ...21 and 100, 101, ...131
    Select Convert(SmallDateTime,'12/15/1970', 101)
    Select Convert(DateTime,'12/15/1970',101)

Examples:

Select Convert(SmallDateTime,'12/15/1970', 101) As 'SmallDateTime style 101 convert example'
    Select Convert(DateTime,'12/15/1970',101)As 'DateTime style 101 convert example'

Select Cast('12/15/1970' As SmallDateTime) As 'SmallDateTime cast example'
    Select Cast('12/15/1970' As DateTime)As 'DateTime cast example'

Note, DataTypes are:
    bigint
    Integer (whole number) data from -2^63 (-9223372036854775808) through 2^63-1 (9223372036854775807).
    int
    Integer (whole number) data from -2^31 (-2,147,483,648) through 2^31 - 1 (2,147,483,647).
    smallint
    Integer data from 2^15 (-32,768) through 2^15 - 1 (32,767).
    tinyint
    Integer data from 0 through 255.
    bit
    Integer data with either a 1 or 0 value.
    decimal
    Fixed precision and scale numeric data from -10^38 +1 through 10^38 1.
    numeric
    Functionally equivalent to decimal.
    money and smallmoney
    money
    Monetary data values from -2^63 (-922,337,203,685,477.5808) through 2^63 - 1 (+922,337,203,685,477.5807), with accuracy to a ten-thousandth of a monetary unit.
    smallmoney
    Monetary data values from -214,748.3648 through +214,748.3647, with accuracy to a ten-thousandth of a monetary unit.
    float
    Floating precision number data from -1.79E + 308 through 1.79E + 308.
    real
    Floating precision number data from -3.40E + 38 through 3.40E + 38.
    datetime
    Date and time data from January 1, 1753, through December 31, 9999, with an accuracy of three-hundredths of a second, or 3.33 milliseconds.
    smalldatetime
    Date and time data from January 1, 1900, through June 6, 2079, with an accuracy of one minute.
    char
    Fixed-length non-Unicode character data with a maximum length of 8,000 characters.
    varchar
    Variable-length non-Unicode data with a maximum of 8,000 characters.
    text
    Variable-length non-Unicode data with a maximum length of 2^31 - 1 (2,147,483,647) characters.
    nchar
    Fixed-length Unicode data with a maximum length of 4,000 characters.
    nvarchar
    Variable-length Unicode data with a maximum length of 4,000 characters. sysname is a system-supplied user-defined data type that is functionally equivalent to nvarchar(128) and is used to reference database object names.
    ntext
    Variable-length Unicode data with a maximum length of 2^30 - 1 (1,073,741,823) characters.
    binary
    Fixed-length binary data with a maximum length of 8,000 bytes.
    varbinary
    Variable-length binary data with a maximum length of 8,000 bytes.
    Variable-length binary data with a maximum length of 2^31 - 1 (2,147,483,647) bytes.
    sql_variant
    A data type that stores values of various SQL Server-supported data types, except text, ntext, timestamp, and sql_variant.
    timestamp
    A database-wide unique number that gets updated every time a row gets updated.
    uniqueidentifier
    A globally unique identifier (GUID)
    Last edited by DBA; 12-02-02 at 23:43.

For future reference, you can use the books online (BOL) for sql server.

Check out the "cast and convert" / "Data Types". Cast and convert will detail the style parameter.

Originally posted by rnealejr
    For future reference, you can use the books online (BOL) for sql server.

Check out the "cast and convert" / "Data Types". Cast and convert will detail the style parameter.
    Hi
    Thanks for your response now I got it. As I never worked with SQL server before. Most of our databases are in Oracle, recently we moved some of them to sequel server. I am trying to convert some repositor scripts from Oracle to SQL server. Here I would like to request you to clarify some of my doubts.
    For ex : two table TableA and TableB with a columnA and ColumnB respectively. I am trying to join these two tables with a left out join like

Select Table A.columnA, TableB.columnB
    From TableA left outer join TableB ON
    ColumnA=ColummB.

But my problem is ColumnB = 1 (which is a constant)
    If I am giving ColumnB = 1 getting the following error.

Error:Both terms of an outer join must contain columns

How to over come this please explain me, keep in mind I am new to Sequel server.
    regards

Can you post the original oracle sql query and the query you tried to convert to sql server ?

Can you post the original oracle sql query and the query you tried to convert to sql server ?
    Oracle SQL:

SELECT
    CASE WHEN GRP6.M_ACTOR_C_NAME IS NOT NULL THEN GRP6.M_ACTOR_C_NAME || '\' END ||
    CASE WHEN GRP5.M_ACTOR_C_NAME IS NOT NULL THEN GRP5.M_ACTOR_C_NAME || '\' END ||
    CASE WHEN GRP4.M_ACTOR_C_NAME IS NOT NULL THEN GRP4.M_ACTOR_C_NAME || '\' END ||
    CASE WHEN GRP3.M_ACTOR_C_NAME IS NOT NULL THEN GRP3.M_ACTOR_C_NAME || '\' END ||
    CASE WHEN GRP2.M_ACTOR_C_NAME IS NOT NULL THEN GRP2.M_ACTOR_C_NAME || '\' END ||
    CASE WHEN GRP1.M_ACTOR_C_NAME IS NOT NULL THEN GRP1.M_ACTOR_C_NAME || '\' END || ' ' Path,
    CASE WHEN GRP1.M_ACTOR_C_NAME IS NULL THEN ' ' ELSE GRP1.M_ACTOR_C_NAME END Group_Name,
    OBJ_M_ACTOR.M_ACTOR_C_NAME Actor_name,
    CASE WHEN OBJ_M_ACTOR.M_ACTOR_N_TYPE = 1 THEN 'Group'
    WHEN OBJ_M_ACTOR.M_ACTOR_N_TYPE = 16 THEN 'User'
    WHEN OBJ_M_ACTOR.M_ACTOR_N_TYPE = 128 THEN 'CMDSetting'
    ELSE 'Type ' || to_char(OBJ_M_ACTOR.M_ACTOR_N_TYPE)
    END Actor_Type,
    rtrim(
    CASE WHEN to_number(bitand(OBJ_M_ACTOR.M_ACTOR_N_STATUS, 1)) = 1 THEN 'enabled, ' END ||
    CASE WHEN to_number(bitand(OBJ_M_ACTOR.M_ACTOR_N_STATUS, 1)) = 0 THEN 'disabled, ' END ||
    CASE WHEN to_number(bitand(OBJ_M_ACTOR.M_ACTOR_N_STATUS, 128)) = 128 THEN 'locked, ' END ||
    CASE WHEN to_number(bitand(OBJ_M_ACTOR.M_ACTOR_N_STATUS, 2)) = 2 THEN 'locked-2, ' END ||
    CASE WHEN to_number(bitand(OBJ_M_ACTOR.M_ACTOR_N_STATUS, 4)) = 4 THEN 'offline prevent, ' END ||
    CASE WHEN to_number(bitand(OBJ_M_ACTOR.M_ACTOR_N_STATUS, 8)) = 8 THEN 'cannot change password, ' END ||
    CASE WHEN to_number(bitand(OBJ_M_ACTOR.M_ACTOR_N_STATUS, 32)) = 32 THEN 'realtime update, ' END ||
    CASE WHEN to_number(bitand(OBJ_M_ACTOR.M_ACTOR_N_STATUS, 64)) = 64 THEN 'cannot delete documents, ' END ||
    CASE WHEN to_number(bitand(OBJ_M_ACTOR.M_ACTOR_N_STATUS, 256)) = 256 THEN 'disable login of pre-4.1.5 release, ' END, ', ') Actor_Status
    FROM
    OBJ_M_ACTOR GRP1,
    OBJ_M_ACTOR GRP2,
    OBJ_M_ACTOR GRP3,
    OBJ_M_ACTOR GRP4,
    OBJ_M_ACTOR GRP5,
    OBJ_M_ACTOR GRP6,
    OBJ_M_ACTOR,
    OBJ_M_ACTORLINK ACTL_2,
    OBJ_M_ACTORLINK ACTL_1,
    OBJ_M_ACTORLINK ACTL_3,
    OBJ_M_ACTORLINK ACTL_4,
    OBJ_M_ACTORLINK ACTL_5,
    OBJ_M_ACTORLINK ACTL_6,
    OBJ_M_ACTORLINK
    WHERE
    OBJ_M_ACTOR.M_ACTOR_N_LAT <> 1
    AND ACTL_1.M_ACTL_N_ACTORID=GRP1.M_ACTOR_N_ID(+)
    AND ACTL_1.M_ACTL_N_ACTORTYPE(+)=1
    AND ACTL_1.M_ACTL_N_FATLINKID=ACTL_2.M_ACTL_N_ID(+)
    AND GRP2.M_ACTOR_N_ID(+)=ACTL_2.M_ACTL_N_ACTORID
    AND ACTL_2.M_ACTL_N_ACTORTYPE(+)=1
    AND ACTL_2.M_ACTL_N_FATLINKID=ACTL_3.M_ACTL_N_ID(+)
    AND GRP3.M_ACTOR_N_ID(+)=ACTL_3.M_ACTL_N_ACTORID
    AND ACTL_3.M_ACTL_N_ACTORTYPE(+)=1
    AND ACTL_3.M_ACTL_N_FATLINKID=ACTL_4.M_ACTL_N_ID(+)
    AND GRP4.M_ACTOR_N_ID(+)=ACTL_4.M_ACTL_N_ACTORID
    AND ACTL_4.M_ACTL_N_ACTORTYPE(+)=1
    AND ACTL_4.M_ACTL_N_FATLINKID=ACTL_5.M_ACTL_N_ID(+)
    AND GRP5.M_ACTOR_N_ID(+)=ACTL_5.M_ACTL_N_ACTORID
    AND ACTL_5.M_ACTL_N_ACTORTYPE(+)=1
    AND GRP6.M_ACTOR_N_ID(+)=ACTL_6.M_ACTL_N_ACTORID
    AND ACTL_6.M_ACTL_N_ACTORTYPE(+)=1
    AND ACTL_5.M_ACTL_N_FATLINKID=ACTL_6.M_ACTL_N_ID(+)
    AND GRP1.M_ACTOR_N_TYPE(+)=1
    AND GRP2.M_ACTOR_N_TYPE(+)=1
    AND GRP3.M_ACTOR_N_TYPE(+)=1
    AND GRP4.M_ACTOR_N_TYPE(+)=1
    AND GRP5.M_ACTOR_N_TYPE(+)=1
    AND GRP6.M_ACTOR_N_TYPE(+)=1
    AND ACTL_1.M_ACTL_N_LAT(+) <> 1
    AND ACTL_2.M_ACTL_N_LAT(+) <> 1
    AND ACTL_3.M_ACTL_N_LAT(+) <> 1
    AND ACTL_4.M_ACTL_N_LAT(+) <> 1
    AND ACTL_5.M_ACTL_N_LAT(+) <> 1
    AND ACTL_6.M_ACTL_N_LAT(+) <> 1
    AND GRP1.M_ACTOR_N_LAT(+) <> 1
    AND GRP2.M_ACTOR_N_LAT(+) <> 1
    AND GRP3.M_ACTOR_N_LAT(+) <> 1
    AND GRP4.M_ACTOR_N_LAT(+) <> 1
    AND GRP5.M_ACTOR_N_LAT(+) <> 1
    AND GRP6.M_ACTOR_N_LAT(+) <> 1
    AND ACTL_1.M_ACTL_N_ID(+)=OBJ_M_ACTORLINK.M_ACTL_N_FAT LINKID
    AND OBJ_M_ACTORLINK.M_ACTL_N_ACTORID(+)=OBJ_M_ACTOR.M_ ACTOR_N_ID
    AND OBJ_M_ACTORLINK.M_ACTL_N_LAT(+)<>1
    order by 1,2

The sql server query i tryed, but it is not completed.

SELECT
    CASE WHEN GRP6.M_ACTOR_C_NAME IS NOT NULL THEN GRP6.M_ACTOR_C_NAME + '\' END +
    CASE WHEN GRP5.M_ACTOR_C_NAME IS NOT NULL THEN GRP5.M_ACTOR_C_NAME + '\' END +
    CASE WHEN GRP4.M_ACTOR_C_NAME IS NOT NULL THEN GRP4.M_ACTOR_C_NAME + '\' END +
    CASE WHEN GRP3.M_ACTOR_C_NAME IS NOT NULL THEN GRP3.M_ACTOR_C_NAME + '\' END +
    CASE WHEN GRP2.M_ACTOR_C_NAME IS NOT NULL THEN GRP2.M_ACTOR_C_NAME + '\' END +
    CASE WHEN GRP1.M_ACTOR_C_NAME IS NOT NULL THEN GRP1.M_ACTOR_C_NAME + '\' END + ' ' Path,
    CASE WHEN GRP1.M_ACTOR_C_NAME IS NULL THEN ' ' ELSE GRP1.M_ACTOR_C_NAME END Group_Name,
    OBJ_M_ACTOR.M_ACTOR_C_NAME Actor_name,
    CASE WHEN OBJ_M_ACTOR.M_ACTOR_N_TYPE = 1 THEN 'Group'
    WHEN OBJ_M_ACTOR.M_ACTOR_N_TYPE = 16 THEN 'User'
    WHEN OBJ_M_ACTOR.M_ACTOR_N_TYPE = 128 THEN 'CMDSetting'
    ELSE 'Type' + cast(OBJ_M_ACTOR.M_ACTOR_N_TYPE as Decimal)
    END Actor_Type,
    rtrim(
    CASE WHEN cast(OBJ_M_ACTOR.M_ACTOR_N_STATUS as int) = 1 THEN 'enabled, ' END +
    CASE WHEN cast(OBJ_M_ACTOR.M_ACTOR_N_STATUS as int) = 0 THEN 'disabled, ' END +
    CASE WHEN cast(OBJ_M_ACTOR.M_ACTOR_N_STATUS as int) = 128 THEN 'locked, ' END +
    CASE WHEN cast(OBJ_M_ACTOR.M_ACTOR_N_STATUS as int) = 2 THEN 'locked-2, ' END +
    CASE WHEN cast(OBJ_M_ACTOR.M_ACTOR_N_STATUS as int) = 4 THEN 'offline prevent, ' END +
    CASE WHEN cast(OBJ_M_ACTOR.M_ACTOR_N_STATUS as int) = 8 THEN 'cannot change password, ' END +
    CASE WHEN cast(OBJ_M_ACTOR.M_ACTOR_N_STATUS as int) = 32 THEN 'realtime update, ' END +
    CASE WHEN cast(OBJ_M_ACTOR.M_ACTOR_N_STATUS as int) = 64 THEN 'cannot delete documents, ' END +
    CASE WHEN cast(OBJ_M_ACTOR.M_ACTOR_N_STATUS as int) = 256 THEN 'disable login of pre-4.1.5 release,' END) Actor_Status
    FROM
    OBJ_M_ACTOR GRP1 LEFT outer join OBJ_M_ACTORLINK ACTL_1 ON GRP1.M_ACTOR_N_ID=ACTL_1.M_ACTL_N_ACTORID,
    OBJ_M_ACTORLINK ACTL_2 INNER JOIN OBJ_M_ACTORLINK ACTL_1a ON ACTL_2.M_ACTL_N_ID=ACTL_1a.M_ACTL_N_FATLINKID,
    OBJ_M_ACTOR GRP2 left outer join OBJ_M_ACTORLINK ACTL_2a on GRP2.M_ACTOR_N_ID=ACTL_2a.M_ACTL_N_ACTORID,
    OBJ_M_ACTORLINK ACTL_3a INNER JOIN OBJ_M_ACTORLINK ACTL_2a1 ON ACTL_3a.M_ACTL_N_ID=ACTL_2a1.M_ACTL_N_FATLINKID,
    OBJ_M_ACTOR GRP3 left outer join OBJ_M_ACTORLINK ACTL_3 on GRP3.M_ACTOR_N_ID=ACTL_3.M_ACTL_N_ACTORID,
    OBJ_M_ACTORLINK ACTL_3a1 INNER JOIN OBJ_M_ACTORLINK ACTL_4 ON ACTL_3a1.M_ACTL_N_ID=ACTL_4.M_ACTL_N_FATLINKID,
    OBJ_M_ACTOR GRP4 left outer join OBJ_M_ACTORLINK ACTL_4a on GRP4.M_ACTOR_N_ID=ACTL_4a.M_ACTL_N_ACTORID,
    OBJ_M_ACTORLINK ACTL_4a1 INNER JOIN OBJ_M_ACTORLINK ACTL_5 ON ACTL_4a1.M_ACTL_N_ID=ACTL_5.M_ACTL_N_FATLINKID,
    OBJ_M_ACTOR GRP5 left outer join OBJ_M_ACTORLINK ACTL_5a on GRP5.M_ACTOR_N_ID=ACTL_5a.M_ACTL_N_ACTORID,
    OBJ_M_ACTOR GRP6 left outer join OBJ_M_ACTORLINK ACTL_6a on GRP6.M_ACTOR_N_ID=ACTL_6a.M_ACTL_N_ACTORID,
    OBJ_M_ACTORLINK ACTL_5a1 INNER JOIN OBJ_M_ACTORLINK ACTL_6 ON ACTL_5a1.M_ACTL_N_ID=ACTL_6.M_ACTL_N_FATLINKID,
    OBJ_M_ACTORLINK ACTL_7 left outer join OBJ_M_ACTORLINK ON ACTL_7.M_ACTL_N_ID=OBJ_M_ACTORLINK.M_ACTL_N_FATLIN KID,
    OBJ_M_ACTORLINK OA LEFT OUTER JOIN OBJ_M_ACTOR ON OA.M_ACTL_N_ACTORID=OBJ_M_ACTOR.M_ACTOR_N_ID
    WHERE
    OBJ_M_ACTOR.M_ACTOR_N_LAT<>1
    AND OBJ_M_ACTORLINK.M_ACTL_N_LAT<>1
    ORDER BY 1,2

thanks.

Sorry I asked I will try to get back to you in a few hours.

Which ones are constants ? When you say constants where are they being defined and what are their values ? Are they not part of a table ? Give me a simple example of the data in the table and the constants of what it would look like before and after the query. How does oracle treat a left outer join that has a constant - what does it return ?

Which ones are constants ? When you say constants where are they being defined and what are their values ? Are they not part of a table ? Give me a simple example of the data in the table and the constants of what it would look like before and after the query. How does oracle treat a left outer join that has a constant - what does it return ?

Basically there are only two tables OBJ_M_ACTOR and OBJ_M_ACTORLINK having a PK link between M_ACTOR_N_ID column with 100 rows from OBJ_M_ACTOR table and M_ACTL_N_ACTORID column with 200 rows from OBJ_M_ACTORLINK. As we know in Oracle we can through an outer join on a column with less number of rows.
    My tables values are like this:

OBJ_MACTOR table
    M_ACTOR_N_STATUS || M_ACTOR_N_ID ||M_ACTOR_N_LAT
    1 1 4
    1 2 4
    1 3 4
    1 4 4
    OBJ_M_ACTORLINK Table
    M_ACTL_N_ACTORID || M_ACTL_N_ID || M_ACTL_N_FATLINKID
    1 1 1
    2 2 2
    3 3 2
    4 3 3

select a.M_ACTOR_N_STATUS,a.M_ACTOR_N_ID,b.M_ACTL_N_ACTOR ID,b.M_ACTL_N_ACTORTYPE
    from OBJ_M_ACTOR a,
    OBJ_M_ACTORLINK b
    where
    b.M_ACTL_N_ACTORID=a.M_ACTOR_N_ID(+)
    and b.M_ACTL_N_ACTORTYPE(+)=1

Probably I may confused you by mentioning constant, in my talk constant means the value refer in where condition that is: b.M_ACTL_N_ACTORTYPE(+)=1 in my case. You can get better idea by look at the sample script above. But in the original script they used different alias for the same table you may notice that.
    OBJ_M_ACTOR GRP1,
    OBJ_M_ACTOR GRP2,
    OBJ_M_ACTOR GRP3,
    OBJ_M_ACTOR GRP4,
    OBJ_M_ACTOR GRP5,
    OBJ_M_ACTOR GRP6,
    OBJ_M_ACTOR,
    OBJ_M_ACTORLINK ACTL_2,
    OBJ_M_ACTORLINK ACTL_1,
    OBJ_M_ACTORLINK ACTL_3,
    OBJ_M_ACTORLINK ACTL_4,
    OBJ_M_ACTORLINK ACTL_5,
    OBJ_M_ACTORLINK ACTL_6,
    OBJ_M_ACTORLINK
    And also there is one join (like self join) on the same table of different aliases ex:
    ACTL_1.M_ACTL_N_FATLINKID=ACTL_2.M_ACTL_N_ID(+)
    Hope I explained clearly.