Unanswered: ODBC driver to connect to Ingres 6.4/06

Hi folks

We currently have Ingres 6.4/06 running on HP UNIX 10.20 and would like to access the database from another server (SUN Solaris).

I understand that this can be done using an ODBC driver. But what I'm not sure of is do I still need to install Ingres/NET on the SUN Solaris box?

Thanks

You won't have to install Ingres/NET on the Sun machine. The ODBC drivers you would install on your HP server would open Ingres up to ODBC clients, i.e. make it ODBC compliant. Microsoft Excel, for example, can access ODBC compliant databases. Your Sun server also has ODBC client software, which would talk directly to your HP's ODBC driver which would be configured to interface with Ingres.

I did this very thing years ago on an HP 9000 running Ingres 6.4/06 on UX 9.01. I got working, albeit with quirks, and managed to read data right out of Ingres into Excel.

Hi

There is a possibility that you can obtain an Ingres 6.4 ODBC driver for your HP server from OpenLink Software and you won't need an Ingres/Net installation either. Please contact technical.support@openlinksw.co.uk and if this still exists, you can obtain it there. or will be pointed in the right direction.

Best Regards
    Emmon

Why not just use Ingres NET?

Why do you need ODBC to connect ? for the application?

I use Ingres NET to cross nodes on my Vax/Alpha/Sun servers every day.

Simply define a vnode for the target server using netu and then access it using vnode::database name syntax.

Can I connect ingres 6.4 with web application

Hi
    Our old application is running on scounix 5.0.1 with ingres 6.4 ...
    Can I use existing database for a web based application ?
    If possible , How will I connect with java ? Any database driver ?

I'm sure your friendly CA account manager would love to sell you some middle tier to talk your java (OpenRoad app server perhaps), although you may have to upgrade Ingres to get any of them to work.

CA stopped supporting 6.4 a few years ago, and I suspect that you will get a lot further if you consider upgrading Ingres - 6.4 to II 2.? can be painful, but CA have a lot of literature on their support web site which may help.
    Regards
    Dbabren