Unanswered: HELP:) Upgrade / Migrate 6.5 to 2000 on new machine
Just want to run this by you guys for input. I’ve never done this.
I will be upgrading server hardware and operating system as well as sql version.
Old machine (sourceserver)
PIII, NT4 Server, MSSQL 6.5 SP5a
New machine (targetserver)
P4 W2K ADV SERVER SP2, MSSQL 2000
Here is what I’m planning:
· Backup all databases including master
· Install instance of SQL2000
· Use wizard to upgrade databases
· Export all 2000 databases including master – migrate to temp directory on targetserver
· Install 2000 ADV server (Active Dir) (same machine name as old sourceserver)
· SP2 (is there any issues with SP3?)
· MS SQL 2000
· Restore all databases
Will this work or have I missed anything?
Will I need to mess with ODBC / DSN ??
This db is utilized by IIS on the same machine using ASP ADO. So it will also be an upgrade for IIS.
Bring on the horror stories!!!! I need to learn from your experiences and wisdom before I take the plunge.
You have an upgrade wizard that comes with sql server 2000 that allows you to upgrade from 6.5. There are a few preparation tasks as well - like making sure you have the correct service pack installed, backing up, verifying disk space needed, increasing tempdb ... I am going to link you to death - but this will help you prepare: