Angry Design of a Forum database

What kind of a database design would work perfectly with JSP/MySQL for a forum?

Re: Design of a Forum database

Originally posted by razafarooqui
    One that has a normalised set of tables that reflect the structure of the information that you wish to hold. If it is for a Forum like this one, then (looking around the page I am typing into) I would expect to see tables for User, Forum, Subject, Posting, etc.

There are some open source forum packages you can use as models, for example, SlashCode. It's far from perfect (and uses Perl instead of JSP) but it's quite mature and there are archives of developer discussions weighing issues that have arisen over time.

First, I don't think the structure of DB tables have any strong relationship with the programming envirnoment.

Second, if you want to build a forum for real world usage, you might consider to join force rather than do your own. There is a open source J2EE forum project, called mvnforum (http://www.mvnforum.com/mvnforumweb/index.jsp). It is in a very good shape at this moment. Take a look.

Although it isn't a discussion forum concept (it is rather a Content Management System), an interesting concept using nodes is http://everydevel.com/ (worth a check before you go on to design your web-based forums).