Unanswered: Replace portions of text fields

I am trying to devise a query tht will replace multiple instances of a text string with another within the same table. Every query I give it tells me that it is invalid in some fashion.

For Instance, in the POST field, I set a test string of The text qazwsxedc should be replaced with qwerty. I want to replace the text qazwsxedc with qwerty across multiple records.

Can this be done via the command line or do I need to go in and manually edit 4000 records in my database?
    Last edited by rjordan; 12-06-02 at 09:54.

I'm no expert, but I don't think you can do this without subselects or an outside programming language.

If so, a ten-minute throwaway perl script is perfect for this problem, because it sounds like you just want it done, not solved.

You are right about wanting to just get it done. Unfortunately, I do not know enough about Perl or MySQL to do it.

update yourtable
    set post = replace(post,'qazwsxedc','qwerty')
    where post like '%qazwsxedc%'

the WHERE clause is so that you don't needlessly update every row in the table

rudy
    http://rudy.ca/

I thank you for your assistance. Let me make sure I understand before I attempt this...

This should replace all instances of qazwsxedc in every record in the POST column without affecting the surrounding text.

For instance:

The text qazwsxedc should be replaced with qwerty.

will be changed to read:

The text qwerty should be replaced with qwerty.

Is that correct?

yup, that's the way it's supposed to work

don't forget the WHERE clause -- there's no point in updating a column value with itself (if it doesn't contain the search string)

rudy

Thank you SO MUCH! That did it!